gas masks pilots in dress uniforms The pilots doughboys with mules Riveters African American Soldiers 1 Mule Rearing African American Officers

DISPATCH: September 12, 2017

update subscription preferences

View this in your browser

Dispatch header 800 - 061217

September 12, 2017

Governors Island living history event to mark NYC World War I Centennial

Camp Doughboy vertical

On September 16-17, World War I will be alive, with a full weekend of activities, ceremonies, and living history demonstrations on Governors Island. All activities are free and open to the public. Camp Doughboy will bring together living history re-enactors, vintage vehicles from a century ago, authors of World War I books, and active duty Army soldiers. They will even have a working World War I-era tank! “We are taking history out of the classroom, and opening it up to everybody." observed Dr. Libby O’Connell, U.S. World War I Centennial Commissioner. “Camp Doughboy gives people of all ages the opportunity to learn about the Great War”. Read all about this big WWI event in the Big Apple here.

Navy to survey wreck of sunken WWI cruiser

USS San Diego vertical

The Navy has announced plans to survey the wreck of the World War I U.S. Navy cruiser San Diego, on which six American Sailors lost their lives when she was sunk as a result of enemy action off the coast of New York on July 19, 1918. The survey's objective is to assess the condition of the wreck site and determine if the ship, the only major warship lost by the United States in, was sunk as a result of a German submarine-launched torpedo or mine. Ultimately, data gathered will help inform the management of the sunken military craft, which lies only a few miles south of Long Island. The announcement comes just weeks after the 99th anniversary of the sinking of the ship, and the survey, which is planned for Sept. 11-15, is timed to allow researchers to conduct a thorough examination of the site and prepare, then release, their findings around the date of the 100th anniversary. Read more about this underwater archeology expedition here.

"We as Americans, need to stand together and take the time to give 'The Great War' the Respect that is owed."

Keith Colley

One of the WWI Centennial Commission's Commemorative Partners is Keith Colley, whose World War I Mobile Museum we profiled last year. His museum has twelve galleries of exhibits, which can be set up & taken down in a matter of hours. True to the name, Keith's Mobile Museum has been traveling across the country, and he sets up the exhibits as part of state fairs, veteran commemorations, living-history activities, and even sporting events. He has been very busy over the past couple of weeks, with a summer schedule that has taken him from Delaware to Texas. We caught up with Keith to get the latest news about the museum, what he is trying to achieve, and what is up ahead for him and the mobile museum.

"We are hard pressed to give a clear answer to our questions relating to the past."

Bernhard Kast

When it comes to military history on the internet, one of the top Producers working today is Bernhard Kast. His YouTube channel, Military History Visualized, took a meteoric route to fame -- garnering over 16 million views of his 160+ video segments, which were all produced just in the past year. Bernhard is the real deal -- an expert in computers/gaming, an expert in history, an expert in teaching, and a gifted storyteller. He was born in 1980, Central Europe, studied Computer Science and History at the University of Salzburg (Europe, Austria) from 2001 to 2008. In his final semester, he had the opportunity to develop and teach a course in rhetoric “Modern Rhetorical Role Models”. Later on, he went to Hamburg to work as a Sales Engineer at a Consulting Firm in the automotive industry and as Junior-Online Marketing Manager at InnoGames a company in browser-based (and now also client-based) gaming. His latest work is a remarkable piece on World War I. Our WW1CC intern Michael Stahler talked to Bernhard about his work, and about how World War I continues to impact us today.

National Academy of Sciences / National Research Council WWI research competition for scholars under 30

David Hounshell

On the occasion of the centennial of World War I, the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine are pleased to announce an open competition for scholars under the age of 30 to research and write a scholarly paper on a major aspect of how scientists and engineers in the United States were engaged in the World War I effort. The focus, drawing on the creation of the National Research Council (NRC) associated with World War I, is on institutional changes  and the research enterprise in America. In effect, scholars should look at how the war experience shaped long-term relationships among scientists and engineers and U.S. policymakers regarding national security and public welfare.

Fort Sam Houston commemorates World War I centennial, honors 90th ID

90th ID

Soldiers and civilians gathered Aug. 25 for Fort Sam Houston’s WWI Centennial Ceremony honoring the 90th ID inside the historic Quadrangle here for an outdoor ceremony. As this year marks the national commemoration for the 100th anniversary of U.S. entry into WWI, military basses across the U.S. are celebrating their storied unit’s involvement and accomplishments in ceremonies. And, Fort Sam Houston is no different. During the ceremony after the 90th ID colors were uncased and unfurled, 100-years to the day that the 90th Division activated at Camp Travis, what is now Fort Sam Houston. Read more about this moving commemoration ceremony and its participants here.

WWI Centennial NEWS Podcast

Podcast Logo

The WW1 Centennial News Podcast is about WW1 THEN: 100 years ago this week, and it's about WW1 NOW: News and updates about the centennial and the commemoration. 

Available on our web site, iTunes, Google Play, and TuneIn.

German Occupation

Highlights of Episode #36:

Life inside German Occupied Belgium
|@ 03:15
Some memorable stories from the front - Mike Shuster
|@ 13:3 0
Preview of Camp Doughboy - Governors Island, NY 9/16-9/17
|@ 19:00
Preview of Pershing Days - Laclede, MO, 9/15-9/17 with Alicyn Ehrich and Denzil Heaney
|@ 20:15
$10,000 WWI academic competition
|@ 24:55 
Speaking WWI - Cooties! Yuk!
|@ 26:00
100C/100M with Jim Yokum on Santa Monica CA project
|@ 27:15
CBS Radio ConnectingVets.com
|@ 33:15 
Phil Eaton - Coast Guard Winged Warrior of WW1
|@ 34:40
WWrite Blog on Champagne
|@ 35:35

And more...

Official WWI Centennial Merchandise

Devil Dog

Inspired by the WWI Marine Chauchat gunner, this 12” cold cast bronze collector statue is a tribute to those who fought in The Great War.

Imagine a scene somewhere in France late 1918. The term “Devil Dog” has its origins at Belleau Wood where a dispatch from the German front lines to headquarters described the fighting abilities of the Americans as fighting like “Teufel Hunden”- “Hounds from Hell.” The Marine gunner wears the AEF M1917 khaki drab uniform typically worn without collar insignia. His primary weapon is the French Chauchat (CSRG) machine gun, while a Colt .45 pistol serves as his sidearm. His backpack is lightly loaded for the assault and he carries extra 20 round magazines for the Chauchat in a French-made haversack. His gasmask, worn in the “ready” position, helmet and gear are all U.S. issue. These finely sculpted limited edition statues are cast and finished one at a time - no two are truly alike. Each limited edition statue is stamped with individual serial numbers and comes packaged in a high quality color presentation box. A portion of the proceeds from the sale of this item will help fund the national WWI Memorial to be built in Pershing Park in Washington, D.C.

This and many other items are available as Official Merchandise of the United States World War One Centennial.

Take advantage of the
Matching Donation by the
Pritzker Military Museum and Library

Double Your Donation - Soldiers

Colonel Pashupati Joseph Sarma 

A Story of Service from the Stories of Service section of ww1cc.org

Pashupati Joseph Sarma

Submitted by: Tanveer Kalo

Colonel Pashupati Joseph Sarma served in World War 1 with the United States Army . The dates of service are: Unknown .

Colonel Pashupati Joseph Sarma was born on September 29, 1893 in Calcutta, British India.

He arrived to the New York City on June 28, 1912 at age of 20 from Liverpool, England on the ship Mauretania. It interesting to note that his race was listed as East Indian in the passenger list.

Sarma settled down in Chicago, Illinois. He become a general medical surgeon in the city.

He registered for the U.S. military on June 5, 1917. According to the book History of Medicine and Surgery and Physicians and Surgeons of Chicago by the Chicago Medical Society, during the war, Sarma entered the medical corps of the U.S. Army and rose to the rank of 1st Lieutenant.

Read Pashupati Joseph Sarma's entire Story of Service here.

Submit your family's Story of Service here.

Founding Sponsor

PritzkerMML Logo