World War One was a watershed in American history. The United States' decision to join the battle in 1917 "to make the world safe for democracy" proved pivotal in securing allied victory — a victory that would usher in the American Century.
During the war's duration, places all across the nation had various roles in the prosecution of the war effort. After the war, memorials—from simple honor rolls, to Doughboy sculptures, to grandiose architectural ensembles—were erected throughout the US. Places and structures were named in honor of men, women, organizations, and even animals who served with distinction during the war. Libraries and museums were established to house the artifacts and documents related to the great war. Many of the facilities and structures that were important during the war have faded into obscurity, or are gone, but many remain.
Each of these places has a story to tell about the nation's struggle during World War One. This nationwide inventory during the Centennial Commemoration of the Great War seeks to identify, document, and preserve the knowledge of all these places.
You can submit information on a place that played a role during the war, or plays a role now in preserving the history of the nation's war effort. Click here to submit information about significant places that are not in the database, or to correct information about a place already recorded.
See here for more information on the country's World War One memorials and monuments, and efforts intended to raise public awareness of the presence, and in many cases, sadly, the plight of these historic monuments and memorials, or to submit a Monument or Memorial to the database.
On the Colquitt County Courthouse grounds, granite monument with eternal flame. This memorial is inscribed with 32 service members that died in WW1. Those from WW2, Korea, and Vietnam are also listed.
Inscription: “To the Memory of Colquitt County Men Who Served During Time of War and Died in Service.”
Photos of the grave crosses for 9 of the 17 GA soldiers from the 151st Machine Gun Battalion buried in European Cemeteries. A spreadsheet in the images lists all 17.
Websites for American Cemeteries – Aisne-Marne, Meuse-Argonne, Oise-Aisne, and St. Mihiel:
Located at the front entrance of the Dooly County Courthouse, this Granite memorial contains four bronze plaques, one each for WWI, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. Inscription: “Dedicated to the Honor and Sacrifice of our Men and Women who Served our Country in War and Peace.”
205 N Broadway St, New Ulm MN 56073
The Minnesota National Guard Armory, 205 North Broadway, New Ulm, Minnesota was dedicated in May, 1916. Burg’s Battery, New Ulm’s private army dating from 1863, welcomed Governor J. A. A. Burnquist to the ceremony with a 21-gun salute. This Armory has served Minnesota and the United States for 99 years. Today it is occupied by the Minnesota Army National Guard Headquarters Battery Battalion Headquarters.
By George L. Glotzbach
This Honor Roll is in front of the Philip Read Memorial Library in Plainfield, New Hampshire.
This Honor Roll is a two- sided roll of servicemen from Plainfield. The only one to die in the war is Harry D. Thrasher, whose name is in gold.
Originally there were two Honor Rolls in Plainfield, one in front of the town offices, and one on Daniels Road. (Only one has survived and it was moved to the library across the street, where it resides today.)
This monument dating from 1919 has a memorial plaque for Cass County residents, and one for Dowagiac City residents. It sets at the start of Main Street right across from the front of City Hall.
In 1910, Freemasons in the United States created the George Washington Masonic National Memorial Association (GWNMMA) to construct a memorial to George Washington somewhere in Alexandria, Virginia. A site atop Shooter's Hill was chosen, and ground for the massive memorial building and tower was broken at noon on June 5, 1922. Laying of the memorial's cornerstone occurred on November 1, 1923. By February 1924, the foundation was complete. To support the tower eight massive granite columns were placed on the floor of the first story. The floor of the second story was built atop them, and eight more massive granite columns placed above the first story columns. The roof of the second floor was supported by this second set of columns. The tower above rested on these second-floor columns. In December 1924, the installation of eight green marble columns (each weighing 11 to 18 tons) occurred on the first floor. Each column was 18 feet (5.5 m) high and 4.5 feet (1.4 m) in diameter, and arrived at Alexandria's Union Station by train from Redstone, New Hampshire. It was provided by the Maine & New Hampshire Granite Corp. One columnar section was damaged, and given to the Ladies Auxiliary of the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW). The VFW turned it into a memorial to American war dead, and erected it in front of Alexandria's Union Station in 1942.
The Armistice Bridge was rebuilt in 2006 replacing the crumbling Memorial Bridge that was built-in 1921 and dedicated in honor of the sons of Waldo County who died in World War I . The 1921 Memorial Bridge was the largest memorial to World War I veterans in its time. The plaque reads: "THIS BRIDGE IS DEDICATED IN HONOR AND MEMORY OF THE SONS OF WALDO COUNTY WHO DIED IN THE GREAT WORLD WAR" 1914 - 1918 Then lists the fifty five men there after.
This monument was provided by the All American Legion Post 120; an unveiling was held on May 30, 1936. Names on the Monument are: Joseph Biart, Carl Boesel, George Fender, Thomas Pruitt (s/b Prewitt) and Rueben Hotchkiss
Corporal James A. Gere was the first soldier from Freehold killed in WW1. He was killed in action at Chateau Thierry France on August 30, 1918. The monument was dedicated on 11/11/1928.
Also known as the 1935 Hurricane Monument this memorial was funded from numerous public and private contributions. It was designed by the Florida Division of the Federal Arts Project and constructed by the Works Progress Administration. It was dedicated on November 14, 1937. The ceremony included a military funeral with full honors. Four days after the 1935 Labor Day hurricane the Governor of Florida ordered all human remains to be immediately cremated where found. This resulted in 33 recorded sites on 3 of the keys which were later marked with stones. In the following 2 years as many as 50 skeletal remains were discovered throughout the region. These and ashes from all the cremation sites were collected and commingled in the memorial's crypt. Perhaps 300 people are buried here. 166 were veterans, mostly from WWI. They had been hired by the Veterans' Affairs Administration to work on the Overseas Highway. To date no markers have been placed for the veterans. No names appear anywhere on the memorial.
The American Legion Harvey W. Seeds Post No. 29 erected this memorial to the World War veterans who died in the 1935 Labor Day hurricane. It is located in Section 2A of Woodlawn Park North Cemetery. The memorial sits atop a mass grave of five parallel trenches, originally containing 90 identified bodies (81 veterans, 9 civilians) and 19 unidentified bodies; 109 altogether. Four veterans were later exhumed. 70 of the remaining veteran graves are marked, most since 2015. The burial with full military honors took place on September 8, 1935.
Between 1923 and 1930 Harvey W. Seeds American Legion Post 29 erected a World War memorial at Woodlawn Park Cemetery. It depicts a sailor, soldier, marine and an Army nurse. The sculptor was Robert Paul Goldie. He used local military personnel as models. Unfortunately the monument has been a frequent target by vandals. In 2010 Felix Sosa-Camejo American Legion Post 346 completed a major restoration, stripping off decades of paint and replacing missing limbs. These pictures were taken on September 1, 2013, still looking great.
No visit to Wisconsin would be complete without a tour of the beautiful 54 acre Memorial Park and its unique tribute to veterans of all wars and conflicts located just 40 minutes North of LaCrosse, Wisconsin, in Arcadia, Wisconsin. It is the largest Memorial Park in the U.S., outside of Washington D.C. A bit further down the path is the World War I monument with a Veterans roster on the left of the monument. Here you will find a listing of all of the Veterans from the area who participated in this war.
The World War I monument in Wildwood, NJ features the helmeted head and arms of a doughboy, holding the hilt of a sword, looking over the top a tall, rectangular, granite pillar. The sword bisects a cross, with the words loyalty, courage, sacrifice and victory in each of the four quadrants. The monument is “Wildwood’s Tribute to the glory of her sons, 1917-1918.” Around the four sides of the flat, rectangular, marble base are the names of six significant WWI battles abroad.
The sculptor of the doughboy is unknown; the granite pillar was completed by O. J. Hammell of Pleasantville, NJ.
The monument was dedicated on May 26, 1927 by Senator William Bright. “The Wildwoods” – Wildwood, North Wildwood & Wildwood Crest – sent 33 people to serve in the war. Three died, including one woman. The American Legion coordinated the dedication event, which included a parade through town honoring veterans and the new monument.
The monument was erected prominently directly across the street from the Pennsylvania Railroad Station. Being a shore community, thousands of tourists exited the train on this spot. The train station is long gone today, and the monument’s park is now in front of senior housing complex.
Narrative adapted from a history of Wildwood’s parks in The Sun.
Photos courtesy of: NJ State Historic Preservation Office
Doug Betten, brother of California WW1Centennial Task Force Co-Director Bill Betten, found this monument in Newberry, SC, about 30 miles north-east of the state capitol of Columbia, SC. The WWI monument, located in Memorial Park, (at Main St. & Nance St.) in downtown Newberry is one of the famous bronze statues erected after the war in honor of those from Newberry who served. The beautiful little park in downtown Newberry is adjacent to the historic Newberry Opera House. In this cozy, one block square park one can visit memorials for the Revolutionary War, Civil War, World Wars, Korean War, and Vietnam War. Many of Downtown Newberry's events take place in this lovely shaded green-space. Since no other South Carolina monuments had been listed at this date, Bill helped his brother to post his find.
Sanilac County World War 1 Statue
To Honor the men and women of Sanilac County
Who answered their country's call in the World War 1914-1918
Below this are the names of those who served from Sanilac County.
Next to the statue is a captured German Maxin Machine Gun which should be restored and housed inside a building!
119 W. Elder Street
As a result of the anti-German hysteria during World War I, name changing became the rage. The Cincinnati City Council followed the trend by changing German street names on April 9, 1918. Among those changed were: German Street to English Street, Bismark Street to Montreal Street, Berlin Street to Woodrow Street, Breman Street to Republic Street, Brunswick Street to Edgecliff Point, Frankfort Street to Connecticut Avenue, Hamburg Street to Stonewall Street, Hanover Street to Yukon Street, Hapsburg Street to Merrimac Street, Schumann Street to Meredith Street, Vienna Street to Panama Street, and Humboldt Street to Taft Road.
Central State University
Benjamin Oliver Davis, Sr. (July 1, 1877 - November 26, 1970), the nation's first African American general in the Regular Army, was born in Washington, D.C. Davis first served as a temporary first lieutenant of the 8th U.S. Volunteer Infantry during the Spanish-American War. Following that conflict, he enlisted as a private in the 9th U.S. Cavalry, serving in the Philippine Insurrection where he began to rise in rank. Davis was promoted to first lieutenant in 1905, captain in 1915, lieutenant colonel in 1920, colonel in 1930, and brigadier general in 1941. His military career took him around the world. In 1909, he was detailed as Military Attache to Monrovia, Liberia. During World War I, Davis was stationed in the Philippines.
140-146 S. Paint Street
Born in Chillicothe in 1872, Burton Stevenson's life was devoted to the written word as a prolific author and anthologist, and as a librarian. Following stints as a journalist while a student at Princeton University and then at newspapers in Chillicothe, Stevenson became the librarian of the city's public library in 1899. He founded a library at Camp Sherman (an army training camp north of the city), which became a model for others nationally. Stevenson then went to Paris as the European director of the Library War Service. After the Armistice in 1918, he established the American Library in Paris and directed it until 1920 and again from 1925 - 1930.