South Pasadena War Memorial Building

   
435 Fair Oaks Ave.
South Pasadena
CA
USA

The two-acre War Memorial Park located on Fair Oaks Avenue provides a site for the two-story 12,000 square feet War Memorial building.

The War Memorial building was built in 1921 and is identified as a city cultural heritage landmark. The building was built on the former Oak Lawn Park with funding from city bonds and donations from the American Legion. The upper floor of the building includes a kitchen and a large multi-purpose room for dancing, meetings, banquets and other activities for groups up to 200 people. The lower consists of smaller rooms, storage and restroom facilities.

In 1921, Marshal Ferdinand Foch laid the cornerstone of the building. In 1923, General John J. Pershing planted a redwood tree on the grounds. The building is #2 on South Pasadena's Register of Cultural Heritage Landmarks. North of the building, grounds are dedicated for a landscaped memorial garden.

 

Memorial building

1921

South Pasadena's Register of Cultural Heritage Landmarks

Norman Foote Marsh

South Pasadena's War Memorial Building, designed by Norman Foote Marsh, has served both as a memorial to veterans and as a meeting place for South Pasadena's American Legion Post No. 140. In 1921, Marshal Ferdinand Foch laid the cornerstone of the building; in 1923, General John J. Pershing planted a redwood tree on the grounds. The building is #2 on South Pasadena's Register of Cultural Heritage Landmarks.