Mary Alice Lamb
Submitted by: Mary Rohrer Dexter
Mary Alice Lamb served in World War 1 with a non-government service organization. The dates of service are: Known 1918-1928.
“Those who go forth ministering to the wants and necessities of their fellow beings experience a rich return, their souls being as a watered garden, and a spring that faileth not…”
– Lucretia Mott
Tucked away in the South West corner of Miami County, Indiana is the small community of Amboy where in 1844, the first Friends Worship service was held in Miami County and six years later, a log church was erected at a location that would later be next to Amboy Friends Cemetery. Until a school was built in 1872, the church doubled as a school. In 1867, the Panhandle Railroad was completed through Miami County and the small town of Amboy was platted as the location of the train station.
When, in 1871, Benjamin B. Lamb laid an addition to the original Amboy platt, his son Ezra must have been living in the area, for on July 28, 1878, Ezra Lamb and his wife Eliza were holding a beautiful baby girl in their arms whom they named Mary Alice.
As she grew, Mary Alice probably attended school in Amboy at a building known as The Academy. The years flew by and soon Mary Alice Lamb was attending school at Earlham College in Richmond, Indiana. She graduated in 1901 with a teaching degree. By this time, she was a young woman, 5’4 1/2” tall, sporting brown hair and brown eyes. Known to her friends as Alice, her first teaching job was at Stit School, four miles from the home in which she grew up. Every morning she would drive to school in a two-wheel cart pulled by a horse. If it rained, she would wear water proof garments or pull into the nearest barn lot until the rain let up. Sometimes, if the weather was very bad she would stay with the Stit family, on whose land the school was located.
Read more: Mary Alice Lamb