armature-1.jpg
armature-4.jpg
previous arrow
next arrow

Dispatch Newletter 040416

Update mailing preferences - Donate - Forward to a friend
View this email in your browser

April 4, 2016

National World War I memorial designer welcomed by Arkansas governor in homecoming visit
World War I Memorial designer Joe Weishaar, a graduate of the University of Arkansas, was greeted by Governor Asa Hutchinson and other dignitaries during a whirlwind visit to the state last week. The governor also announced the creation of the official Arkansas state centennial committee. Click here to read more about the events in Arkansas. Click here to help build the national World War I Memorial in Washington, D.C.

Moving on down the road...
The World War I Centennial Commission moves this week into new offices at 1800 G Street, NW in Washington, one block away from our old offices. The new location offers considerably more space for interns and includes hoteling for official visitors and volunteers. Our official mailing address and phone number remain the same. We'll schedule a 'trench-warming after work' event sometime in the next few weeks. Plan to stop by!

Story of American volunteers highlighted in new National WWI Museum exhibition opening April 5
The United States’ declaration of war against Germany in April of 1917 is often cited as a turning point in World War I. However, the involvement of American citizens in the war effort actually transpired immediately at the onset of the war through volunteer contributions that assisted in sustaining the Allied Powers in the early years of conflict. The Volunteers: Americans Join World War I, 1914-1919, a new special exhibition at the National World War I Museum and Memorial, highlights these contributions from every day Americans who risked their lives in support of others. Click here to read more about the new exhibit opening this week.

Lafayette Escadrille Memorial Re-dedication scheduled for April 20, 2016
Lafayette Escadrille Memorial Arch
Among the most famous American volunteers early in WWI were the aviators of the Lafayette Escadrille. The memorial in France to the unit and its members will be re-dedicated on
April 20. Signature Event logoA new special section on the World War 1 Centennial Commission web site tells the story of the Lafayette Escadrille, the squadron, the heritage, the memorial , the re-dedication event, and an expanding series of articles about those pioneering and brave young Americans who went to France to fly before America entered the war. We invite you to explore and use our Contact to contribute.

“They flew on a wing and a prayer, because they flew without parachutes." Metal Sign
Metal sign - They Flew on a wing and a prayerLooking back at images of The Great War and recognizing the sacrifices made by a generation one century ago, inspired the designs of our metal signs collection.We hope you appreciate the combination of history and humor in each design.
This 8” x 12” embossed sign depicts historical images of fighter planes, limited in safety equipment, during World War One. This sentiment is also expressed in this great video showing the Kansas City Dawn Patrol who fly these aircraft today!
This and many other commemorative items are available in the Official Merchandise Shop.

Subscribe to Dispatch, Sync-call And More...
Governor Asa Hutchinson of Arkansas announces state WWI committee creation
Website
Website
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
Twitter
Email us
Email us
Use Amazon Smile when you shop, designate us the charity and we will get a donation from Amazon at no cost to you!
Founding Sponsor
Copyright © 2015 World War I Centennial Commission All rights reserved.
*|IFNOT:ARCHIVE_PAGE|**|END:IF|**|LIST:DESCRIPTION|**|END:IF|*

Our mailing address is:
701 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW #123
Washington, DC 20004

www.WorldWar1Centennial.org

unsubscribe from this list update subscription preferences

"Pershing" Donors

$5 Million +

Founding Sponsor
PritzkerMML Logo

Starr Foundation Logo

The Lilly Endowment