At the right-hand corner of the Tobin Center, when facing it, is a WW1 Memorial that is practically hidden among the landscaping and shrubs of the auditorium. It is near the intersection of Auditorium Circle and Jefferson Street. It is a white marble monument about six feet tall with a prayerful woman (a mother) surrounded on her right side with several "doughboys" wearing WW1 field uniforms, helmets and carrying their rifles with fixed bayonnets. The inscription under this massive carving reads: “Honoring The Mothers Whose Sons Fought In The World War - Erected by San Antonio Chapter No. 2 - 1938”.
The American War Mothers was founded in 1917 and was incorporated by an Act of Congress February 24, 1925. The AWM are a perpetual patriotic, 501(c) 4 non-profit, non-political, non-sectarian, non-partisan organization whose members are Mothers of children who have served or are serving in the Armed Services during a time of conflict.
This often unknown or overlooked organization of mothers has had an impact on our nation and on the welfare of our Armed Service members. This is a worthy war memorial for those from WW1 on up to the present.
Chapter #1 in Maryland, is still operating.