fbpx

146th F.A.A.E.F. WW1 Equipment Display

   
146th F.A.A.E.F. WW1 Equipment Displayloupe
755 NE Myra Road
Walla Walla
WA
USA
99362

The 66th Artillery Brigade was the parent organization of the 146th. It had two assigned Field Artillery Regiments, the 146th and 148th, was the first brigade of the A. E. F. (American Expeditionary Force) to have its regiments become motorized heavy artillery units. The 146th, arriving in their training camp at Camp de Souge, France, (10 miles southwest of Bordeaux) first on January 16,1918, were equipped with the newly manufactured French 155mm (6 in.) Filloux rifles, commonly know as the 155 G. P. F. gun. The 148th arrived there on February 14th and was soon also equipped with these spectacular guns.The 146th Field Artillery Regiment of the Washington National Guardwas originally formed at Fort Walla Walla, WA, there was little or no time to train with as all units once formed were quickly sent to France. Fort Walla Walla served the U.S. Cavalry from 1859 to closing in 1910.  The was briefly reopened in 1917 to train A.E.F. Field Artillery Battalions.It wasn’t until they reached France that the Brigade was designated as “Corps Artillery” reporting to either a Corps or the higher unit, the First Army, and assigned the 155 mm G. P. F. Guns. Their combat service was within the First Army, however, when serving in Germany with the Army of Occupation, they were within the Third Army area. As such they worn the Third Army patch on their left shoulder, a white A within a red circle in all of the available pictures 

 
Robert Shay, PH3, USNR-R, 1964-70