On the grounds of the Seward County Courthouse is a statue erected on June 25, 1924, by the Ben Harrison Chapter of the DAR and Post Three of the G.A.R. to honor the local veterans of the Civil War. It is a standing soldier with a gun on his shoulder, atop an obelisk dedicated to the veterans of Gettysburg, Shiloh and Antietam. The head was originally larger, as it was intended to have been placed on a building dome and seen from a long distance. It was sculpted by Fred Kimball and dedicated on July 23, 1924. On July 4, 1973, the Seward Jaycees added a plaque to each corner of the cement curbing around the statue to honor the men who fought in WWI, WWII, Korea and Vietnam.