This is a full-length bronze figure of a Civil War soldier wearing an overcoat and cap. He holds a rifle, has a field bag on his right hip, and has a sword hanging on his left. Beneath him is a rectangular stepped granite base. It was sculpted by Martin Milmore and was installed on December 9, 1871. It was formally dedicated on June 19, 1890, in memory of the citizen soldiers of Amherst.
It was rededicated on July 4,1985, with plaques listing veterans of the Spanish-American War, WWI, WWII, and the Korean and Vietnam Wars.