A huge bronze WWI infantryman stands with his rifle held horizontally in both hands at his waist. He wears a helmet and has packs and a water bottle. Beneath is a granite boulder the back of which is engraved with the names of the 489 men and 10 Army nurses from Cooperstown who served in WWI. On the front of the base are the names of the 54 who died. It was sculpted by Gerald D. Horn and completed in about 1920.