Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery
“SOME DEEDS MUST NOT DIE, SOME NAMES MUST NOT WITHER”
- motto of the National Society of 1917 World War Registrars
The Rollo-Calcaterra American Legion Post No.15 of St. Louis, Missouri preserved a
vital piece of St. Louis history. In the early 1920’s, at the same time that Post 15 was
being formed, the Gold Star Mothers of St. Louis and the National Society of 1917
World War Registrars were organizing an effort to construct a memorial to honor the sons
and daughters of St. Louis who had lost their lives serving their country in the World War.
The memorial included 1,185 round bronze plaques that were set into the boulevard of
Kingshighway, each with a sycamore tree planted by the City of St. Louis. In the 1980’s,
significant changes were made to Kingshighway and the bronze plaques were in jeopardy
of being thrown away.
Rollo-Cancaterra American Legion Post No. 15 saved 752 of the bronze plaques and
documented the 433 that were lost forever. Since that time, the Post has had a single
missionto find an appropriate permanent home for the plaques and on September 20,
2012 at 1:30PM, their mission was fulfilled. For on that Sunday, which was also National
Gold Star Mothers’ Day, The World War 1 Court of Honor Memorial was officially dedicated
at the Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery in St. Louis, Missouri.