fbpx

War Memorial Park

   
War Memorial Park loupe
Corner of N. Woodland Ave. & Jordan St.
Oglesby
IL
USA
61348

Front bronze plaque reads:

MEMORIAL
—-
DEDICATED
TO THE
SOLDIERS
AND
SAILORS
OF
OGLESBY
ILLINOIS
WHO OFFERED
THEIR SERVICE
AND LIVES
AT THE
NATION’S
CALL
IN THE
GREAT
WORLD
WAR
———
1914 -1918
———

Memorial Park hold Monuments and Memorials to all of those
who left the Oglesby community to defend freedom and liberty
throughout the world in the wars of our Republic.
The “World War” Memorial Monument sits prominently at the
original corner pedestrian entrance of the park.
The words in BOLD above appear on the front of the Memorial
Monument and each of the three sides holds a bronze plaque
ROLL OF HONOR with the names of 399 Oglesby area residents
who answered their Nation’s Call To Serve, included in those
lists are the names of the 19 who are remembered, with a star,
for their “Supreme Sacrifice” in the cause of Freedom & Liberty.
A World War 1 Army Field Artillery Piece, the Armstrong, 127MM
BL-60 MK1 Cannon, stands in the park behind the Memorial
Monument as an example of the shear might, that the United
States Army and Navy displayed in ending “The Great War”

 
Robert Shay, PH3, USNR-R, 1964-70