This is the older of the two War Memorials on the Green in front of the Mendota Museum & Historical Society building. Erected by American Legion Mendota Post № 540 in 1921 to honor the memory of seven local soldiers “…WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE IN THE WORLD WAR 1917 ★★ 1918”. There are two plaques that are in remarkable condition at age 98, only missing 7 of the 14 decorative caps covering the bolts holding the plaques to the wall. Also the covered dark red brick community drinking fountain has been well taken care of by the community. The Memorial Monument sites directly behind the newer War Memorial Wall and 155mm Howitzer circa 1917 WW1 field artillery piece.