This small triangle park became neglected and fell into disrepair. It was restored and rededicated in 1995 and then again in 2010. Today, the memorial has been nominated for both historic and landmark status.
Chicago Tribune news story dated March 30, 2011:
The memorial — which includes 11 names of Berwyn residents who died during the war — was donated by the Woman’s Club of Berwyn around 1919 and was placed in front of the old LaVergne School. The gray and brown boulder includes a square (bronze) metal plaque, with a green (oxidized patina) attached to the smooth side of the stone. It’s believed to be a glacier boulder that was found near the site in the late 19th century.
The inscription on the plaque reads:
IN MEMORY OF
LOUIS J. MATYSEK
EDWARD F. MEYERS
CHARLES S. CLARK
WILLIAM S. PATTERSON
JOSEPH E. CRISMORE
FREDERICK A. EMMS
JAMES H. WALTERS
1914 - 1918
BERWYN’S WOMENS CLUB
LaVergne School was demolished in 1938 to make way for a larger school about a block west of the memorial site. A former teacher at the new LaVergne School remembers that students and teachers would visit the site every Armistice Day. “The entire school would walk to the memorial and face the east at 11 o’clock, the time the armistice was signed (and took effect).” All of the individuals inscribed on the memorial died in service, from accidents, disease, wounds or were Killed In Action. Many are buried in France.
Ogden Avenue was the former historic Route 66 into Chicago. There is a new informational sign just to the west of the monument.