White marble stairs which lead up to the main part of the monument. At the top of the stairs is the dominating feature of the installation. Taft’s oversized classical female figure stands with her arms outstretched, clutching a laurel wreath in each hand. Behind her is an exedra. The exedra extends around the installation and to either side of the female sculpture are built-in benches. Above the benches are bronze plaques honoring veterans of the Civil War and the Spanish-American War, above the individual war plaques is bronze plating that reads, “Ogle County Honors Her Sons.” Flanking the dominant sculpture are two soldiers atop pedestals, one facing north and the other facing south. Taft's soldiers were cut from marble obtained in the U.S. state of Georgia. The Soldiers’ Monument was constructed, on the approval of the Ogle County Board in 1916, for no more than $21,00.