In memory of the men from Bowie County, Texas and Miller County, Arkansas, who made the supreme sacrifice in the service of their country in the World War 1917-1918. They and their comrades fought not for selfish gain nor for one foot of added territory, but for the highest ideal ever upheld by man -- the peace of the world. This monument is a symbol of the praise and gratitude which they so justly merit which will forever be accorded them by their countrymen. Erected by the Texarkana Memorial Unit, an organization of women banded together to honor their loyalty, their service and their sacrifice. November 1936.