The bridge was Federal Aid Project 201; begun in 1922 by the State Highway Department with W.R. Neel as State Engineer; Prayton, Howton, and Wood Contracting Company; and the Pensacola Shipbuilding Company as builders. These contractors gave up after experiencing difficulty establishing permanent foundations. The bridge was completed by the Hardaway Contracting Company and the Atlantic Bridge Company in 1926. It was torn down ca. 1976-1977, and a new bridge was constructed in its place.