This monument depicts a larger-than-life doughboy soldier standing with his left leg forward and his right leg extended backward. A rifle is held in his left hand, pointing diagonally downward across his extended left thigh. His helmet rests upside down to his left.
The figure stands on a natural rock that features a relief plaque depicting an angel in the center, holding an olive branch and flanked by soldiers. The sculpture was dedicated on July 19, 1924.
Narrative adapted from Smithsonian Institution Research Information System (SIRIS) #NJ000018.
Photos courtesy of:
Monument - Smithsonian Institution Research Information Service (SIRIS)
Plaque - Bill Coughlin & Historical Marker Database