The memorial consists of three parts: the colonnade, entablature and cenotaph.
The entablature contains the names of the major battles in which American troops fought in western Europe.
The cenotaph--the only one in New Haven--features the inscription, "In Memory of the Men of Yale who true to her traditions gave their lives that freedom might not perish from the Earth, Anno Domini 1918."
The memorial was designed by Thomas Hastings and Everett Meeks, and was paid for by Yale Alumni--no university funds were used.
Dedicated on June 19, 1927.