Marble honor roll of 81 Jewish doughboys was unveiled Nov. 11, 1920, and embedded in a wall at Fort Worth's Hebrew Institute. The marble montage was 10 ft. tall and 8 ft. wide. It was made from 5 tablets. The frieze across the top was inscribed with 2 Jewish stars and 2 American flags. The title reads: TRIBUTE TO OUR BOYS=WORLD WAR=1914-1918. In 1951, the marble montage was broken into 5 slabs and stacked in a storage closet. Rediscovered in 1980, four panels were framed and hung in a garden by the entrance to a Congregation Ahavath Sholom's new synagogue at 4050 S. Hulen. The 5th tablet, inscribed with the dedication date and the sponsors, the Ladies Auxiliary to Hebrew Institute, was discarded. Exposed to wind, sun, and rain, the colors on the monument faded until it was white-on-white and only legible up close. However, the memorial has since been restored, as can be seen in the picture gallery. Many soldiers' descendants still live in Fort Worth.
4050 South Hulen, Congregation Ahavath Sholom, west entrance facing 4800 Briarhaven Lane
Fort Worth, TX, 76116