The sculpture was unveiled by two GoldStar mothers, Mrs. Charles V. Leach and Mrs. Cordelia Cater, after whose sons the Olympia posts of the American Legion and the Veterans of Foreign Wars were named. The dedication address was presented by Stephen F. Chadwick, national chairman of the American Legion’s Americanism Committee.
The bronze sculpture features a 12-foot tall figure of Winged Victory surrounded by the figures of a soldier, a sailor, a marine, and a Red Cross nurse.
Although, there is plenty of space on this monument, and the inscription reads:
TO THE MEMORY OF
OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON
WHO LOST THEIR LIVES
IN THE SERVICE OF
THE UNITED STATES
DURING THE WORLD WAR
1917 - 1918
Sadly there are no names engraved here.
The left-panel figure, " The American Boy", holds in his left hand the sword of the Crusaders, surmounted bu a wreath of oak for courage, and in his right the fasces and axe, sign of authority; the right-panel figure, " The American Girl" bears in her right hand the torch of liberty, with thirteen stars fir the original states, and in her left the laurel, symbol of accomplishment. Beneath the fighres are the sesals of the United States, the Army, the Navy and the Hhigh School. Auxiliary panel bearing the names of the complete honor-roll are in preparation.
The War Memorial, located at 101 North Gay Street, Baltimore, MD, honors and serves all veterans of Maryland. The building serves as a place of remembrance for fallen soldiers and as an administrative office for veteran’s outreach organizations. The War Memorial Commission was created under both State and City law to operate the War Memorial building. The Commission has custody and supervision of the War Memorial Building and the War Memorial Plaza.