World War One was a watershed in American history. The United States' decision to join the battle in 1917 "to make the world safe for democracy" proved pivotal in securing allied victory — a victory that would usher in the American Century.
In the war's aftermath, individuals, towns, cities, counties, and states all felt compelled to mark the war, as did colleges, businesses, clubs, associations, veterans groups, and houses of worship. Thousands of memorials—from simple honor rolls, to Doughboy sculptures, to grandiose architectural ensembles—were erected throughout the US in the 1920s and 1930s, blanketing the American landscape.
Each of these memorials, regardless of size or expense, has a story. But sadly, as we enter the war's centennial period, these memorials and their very purpose—to honor in perpetuity the more than four million Americans who served in the war and the more than 116,000 who were killed—have largely been forgotten. And while many memorials are carefully tended, others have fallen into disrepair through neglect, vandalism, or theft. Some have been destroyed. Watch this CBS news video on the plight of these monuments.
The extant memorials are our most salient material links in the US to the war. They afford a vital window onto the conflict, its participants, and those determined to remember them. Rediscovering the memorials and the stories they tell will contribute to their physical and cultural rehabilitation—a fitting commemoration of the war and the sacrifices it entailed.
We are building a US WW1 Memorial register through a program called the Memorials Hunters Club. If you locate a memorial that is not on the map we invite you to upload your treasure to be permanently archived in the national register. You can include your choice of your real name, nickname or team name as the explorers who added that memorial to the register. We even have room for a selfie! Check the map, and if you don't see the your memorial CLICK THE LINK TO ADD IT.
WWI Field Artillery Piece on the grounds of Morton Grove's American Legion Civic Center
"Fabbys" refers to employees of the Newburgh Fabrikoid Factory, which produced artificial leather and later bought out by DuPont.
It is noted, that this classic Memorial Monument featuring a three rifle stack, with
helmets and bayonets on the top was originally created using real helmets and rifles.
This is a bronze sculpture of an eagle, about 10 X 7 feet, with wings spread in a vertical direction. It is mounted on a pyramidal concrete base. It was sculpted by Lyle E. Johnson, who gave it to the city in honor of the veterans of all wars. It was dedicated on May 30,1992.
American War Mothers Chapter 3
WW1 Memorial Flag Pole
Located at the Snohomish County Administration Building Plaza
There are several other War Memorials and Monuments at this site including a very large sculpture,
which can be seen on the right side of the gallery picture.
At the right-hand corner of the Tobin Center, when facing it, is a WW1 Memorial that is practically hidden among the landscaping and shrubs of the auditorium. It is near the intersection of Auditorium Circle and Jefferson Street. It is a white marble monument about six feet tall with a prayerful woman (a mother) surrounded on her right side with several "doughboys" wearing WW1 field uniforms, helmets and carrying their rifles with fixed bayonnets. The inscription under this massive carving reads: “Honoring The Mothers Whose Sons Fought In The World War - Erected by San Antonio Chapter No. 2 - 1938”.
The American War Mothers was founded in 1917 and was incorporated by an Act of Congress February 24, 1925. The AWM are a perpetual patriotic, 501(c) 4 non-profit, non-political, non-sectarian, non-partisan organization whose members are Mothers of children who have served or are serving in the Armed Services during a time of conflict.
This often unknown or overlooked organization of mothers has had an impact on our nation and on the welfare of our Armed Service members. This is a worthy war memorial for those from WW1 on up to the present.
Chapter #1 in Maryland, is still operating.
This is a full-length bronze figure of a Civil War soldier wearing an overcoat and cap. He holds a rifle, has a field bag on his right hip, and has a sword hanging on his left. Beneath him is a rectangular stepped granite base. It was sculpted by Martin Milmore and was installed on December 9, 1871. It was formally dedicated on June 19, 1890, in memory of the citizen soldiers of Amherst.
It was rededicated on July 4,1985, with plaques listing veterans of the Spanish-American War, WWI, WWII, and the Korean and Vietnam Wars.
This is a life size bronze statue of a WWI infantryman whose right hand clasps the strap of a rifle which hangs at his side. His left hand rests at the top of a saber which hangs from his artillery belt. He wears a brimmed hat, leggings, and rolled-up shirtsleeves. On the granite exedra base is a relief of a wreath flanked by images of flames and eagles' heads. It was sculpted by David Cunningham Lithgow and dedicated tin November 29, 1925, as a tribute to the 10 veterans of WWI. A "Big Bertha" cannon had sat in front of the sculpture, but it was used for salvage during WWII.
Located in the Maryland State Veterans Cemetery
Wallie Funk, Sr. & Charles Pinson
Seaman Pinson was the City of Anacortes last surviving WWI Veteran
The streets are alive with colorful caricatures from the city’s past, many that tell a story showing old modes of transportation.
The brain-child of local historian and artist Bill Mitchell who, though wheelchair bound, has painted nearly 120 murals since 1984. Many are located in their proper locations, most in the old town area.
The correct name of Petty Officer Pinson’s ship is the USS Chebaulip (A Navy Supply Ship)
4839 Gross Tons, Length 380.0', Beam 53.75', Comm. 11 Jul 18, Decom. 9 May 19, ID # 3141
No image has been located of USS Chebaulip
Ardmore Memorial Park is the home of Carter County Veterans Memorial Square and the Oil Patch Warrior statue dedicated to WWII energy workers.
During the period from April 1920 through July 1921, the remains of many servicemen buried in Europe during World War I were disinterred. These remains were either reinterred in selected cemeteries in Europe or returned to the United States. Of these, the remains of about 2100 were reinterred in Arlington National Cemetery, specifically, in Section 18. Through the efforts of the Argonne Unit American Womens Legion, the Argonne Cross was erected to their memory and in their honor. It is situated in the southwest corner of Section 18 and faces east. A grove of 19 pine trees are on 3 sides of the Cross (North, West and South). These trees are symbolic of the Argonne Forest where many of the men fought. At the juncture of the arm and stem of the cross is carved, in low relief, an eagle and wreath.
The inscription on the east side of the base reads:
In memory of our men in France
The inscription on the west side of the base reads:
Erected through the efforts of the Argonne Unit American Womens Legion
No additional information at this time.
Arlington National Cemetery is the final resting place for more than 400,000 active duty service members, veterans and their families. Service to country is the common thread that binds all who are remembered and honored at Arlington.
This memorial is part of the US Armed Forces Legacy Park, which honors veterans from every US war. The park also contains a plaque wall listing names of servicemembers from WWI as well as the Civil War, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, the Gulf War, and Operation Iraqi Freedom.
The Armistice Bridge was rebuilt in 2006 replacing the crumbling Memorial Bridge that was built-in 1921 and dedicated in honor of the sons of Waldo County who died in World War I . The 1921 Memorial Bridge was the largest memorial to World War I veterans in its time. The plaque reads: "THIS BRIDGE IS DEDICATED IN HONOR AND MEMORY OF THE SONS OF WALDO COUNTY WHO DIED IN THE GREAT WORLD WAR" 1914 - 1918 Then lists the fifty five men there after.
A Fourth of July editorial in the Asotin County Sentinal led to the adoption of a proposal by Doctor S.D. Brazeau to scrap the plan for a new steel bridge and in its place erect an eye catching concrete arch to memorialize the local men who lost their lives in the recently ended Great War. The more elaborate span would cost $6,000 more than the sum allocated for the original project and this amount was raised through a private donation campaign. The first pledge was made by J.C. Halsey, whose son, Archie M. Halsey, was the last of seven Asotin County residents killed in Action.The finished bridge is a wide elliptical concrete arch topped by an ornamental balustrade. Four pillars with hammer brushed insets adorned with brass plaques listing the names of the area’s veterans and topped by Victorian street lamps mark its approaches.Each of the four plaques on the bridge have this inscription followed by a list of those Asotin County residents who served in “The World War”. Those soldiers and sailors who “Made The Supreme Sacrifice” are noted with a star. A smaller version of the bridge was constructed for pedestrians entering the community park south of the Memorial Bridge.
DEDICATED IN HONOR AND
MEMORY OF THOSE WHO
SERVED IN THE WORLD WAR
1914 - 1918
Built by: Security Bridge Co., Lewiston Section
Designed by: R.F. Lorino of Lewiston, Idaho
Memorial Bridge Proposed: July 4, 1919
Asotin County Memorial Bridge Dedicated: November 11, 1922
Buried here is Rags, the mascot of the 1st Division. He was considered to be a WWI war hero, and lived from 1916 to 1936.
GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS THAT / A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS /---/ ERECTED 1926 BY THE PEOPLE OF LONG ISLAND CITY / IN HONOR OF ALL THEIR FELLOW CITIZENS WHO SERVED IN THE WORLD WAR 1914-1918