Monument explorer

 

Spirit of the American Doughboy, Chambersburg, Pennsylvaniazoom
In small triangular memorial area known as “East Point” at the intersection of East Queen and Lincoln Way (U. S. Highway 30).
Chambersburg
PA
USA
http://doughboysearcher.weebly.com/chambersburg-pennsylvania.html
November 12, 1923
E.M. Viquesney, sculptor

The memorial acquisition had its beginnings as early as March 1920 when a successful campaign was conducted to raise funds to acquire the plaque by public subscription. The original plan was to place it on a large boulder at the Franklin County Courthouse, but a state art commission rejected that plan. After considerable delay, the base shown in the above photograph was built and the Doughboy was dedicated at the current location on a rainy November 12, 1923 – Armistice (November 11) was on Sunday that year. The parade paused for a minute of silence at 11 a. m. to recognize the effective time of the armistice five years earlier. Numerous organizations, bands and speakers participated in the ceremony.

 
First Division Monument, Washington, DCzoom
South of the Dwight D. Eisenhower Executive Office Building
Near 17th Street NW, across from Corcoran Gallery
Washington
DC
USA
20005
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Division_Monument
October 4, 1924
Cass Gilbert, architect; Daniel Chester French, sculptor

The First Division Monument sits on a plaza in President's Park, west of the White House and south of the Eisenhower Executive Office Building (EEOB) at the corner of 17th Street and State Place, NW. (The EEOB was originally known as the State, War, and Navy Building and then as the Old Executive Office Building.) The monument was conceived by the Society of the First Division, the veteran's organization of the U.S. Army's First Division, to honor the valiant efforts of the soldiers who fought in World War I. Later additions to the monument commemorate the lives of First Division soldiers who fought in subsequent wars. The World War II addition on the west side was dedicated in 1957, the Vietnam War addition on the east side in 1977, and the Desert Storm plaque in 1995. Cass Gilbert was the architect of the original memorial and Daniel Chester French was the sculptor of the Victory statue. Gilbert's son, Cass Gilbert Jr., designed the World War II addition. Both the Vietnam War addition and the Desert Storm plaque were designed by the Philadelphia firm of Harbeson, Hough, Livingston, and Larson. Congressional approval was obtained to erect the First Division Monument and its later additions on federal ground. The Society of the First Division (later called the Society of the First Infantry Division) raised all the funds for the original monument and its additions. No federal money was used. Today, the monument and grounds are maintained by the National Park Service. (Courtesy National Park Service)

 
Eastern High School War Memorial, Washington, DCzoom
1700 East Capitol Street SE
Washington
DC
USA
20003
1923
Kathryn Harris, designer

The Eastern High School Alumni flagstaff commemmorates seven former Eastern High students who were killed in the Spanish-American War and World War I. Paid for by alumni of the school, the flagstaff stands before the school's main entrance. It was in place when the school moved to this then-new building on March 1, 1923.

 
Polar Bear Monument, Troy, MIzoom
White Chapel Cemetery
621 West Long Lake Road at Crooks Road
Troy
MI
USA
May 30, 1930
Leon Hermant, sculptor

The Polar Bear Monument is the work of sculptor Leon Hermant and was commissioned by the Polar Bear Association, whose members were veterans of the US Army's 85th Division who fought the Bolshevik Red Army in North Russia during the Allied Intervention in the Russian Civil War, 1918-1919.  

A polar bear advancing menacingly and protectively past a cross with a World War I helmet strapped to it. The sculpture is mounted upon a stepped, castellated base of polished Swedish black granite.

On Memorial Day, May 30, 1930, at White Chapel Cemetery in Troy, Michigan, the remains of forty-five 85th Division soldiers who died in North Russia were re-interred alongside the Polar Bear Monument during a ceremony that included the dedication of the Monument. In later years the remains of eleven more "Polar Bears" who had died in North Russia were re-interred next to the Monument.




In 1988 the Monument and surrounding graves, were recognized as a registered Michigan Historic Site and a state historical marker was erected nearby.  The marker reads as follows (note that the text provides the wrong number of burials that actually took place on May 30, 1930):




THE POLAR BEARS 

(SIDE ONE) 

In the summer of 1918, President Woodrow Wilson, at the urging of Britain and France, sent an infantry regiment to north Russia to fight the Bolsheviks in hopes of persuading Russia to rejoin the war against Germany. The 339th Infantry Regiment, with the first battalion of the 310th Engineers and the 337th Ambulance and Hospital Companies, arrived at Archangel, Russia, on September 4, 1918. About 75 percent of the fifty-five hundred Americans who made up the North Russian Expeditionary Forces were from Michigan; of those a majority were from Detroit. The newspapers called them "Detroit's Own,"; they called themselves "Polar Bears." They marched on Belle Isle on July 4, 1919. Ninety-four of them were killed in action after the United States decided to withdraw from Russia but before Archangel's harbor thawed. 




(SIDE TWO) 

In 1929 five former "Polar Bears" of the 339th Infantry Regiment returned to north Russia in an attempt to recover the bodies of fellow soldiers who had been killed in action or died of exposure or disease ten years earlier. The group was selected by the members of the Polar Bear Association under the auspices of the Veterans of Foreign Wars. The trip was sponsored by the federal government and the state of Michigan. The delegates recovered eighty-six bodies. Fifty-six of these were buried on this site on May 30, 1930. The Polar Bear monument was carved from white Georgian marble; the steps, from white North Carolina granite. The black granite base symbolizes a fortress, and the cross and helmet denote war burial.

 

 

 
Cecil County World War Doughboy Memorial, Elkton, MD zoom
101 Railroad Ave.
Elkton
MD
USA
21921
11/11/1921
sculptor unknown

A standing figure of a soldier dressed in his khakis and wearing his helmet. He holds a rifle in front of him with both hands. The base of the sculpture is a shaft flanked by large paneled slabs inscribed with the names of Cecil County men who died in World War I. At the bottom of the base is a row of three steps. At each end of the base, on the front corners, are tapered shafts topped by electric lamps. On the front of the base is a carved eagle.

 
Massachusetts Veterans War Memorial Tower, Mount Greylock, MAzoom
Mount Greylock State Reservation, Notch Rd.
Adams
MA
USA
06/30/1933
Maginnis & Walsh, architects

A 93-foot-tall lighthouse-like structure atop Mount Greylock, the highest summit (3,505 feet) in Massachusetts. Eight narrow windows at the top of the shaft give views to the surrounding landscape from within an observatory that is reached by iron spiral staircases. A semi-transparent glass globe sits atop a stem that emerges from the crown of the shaft. The crown is decorated with art deco eagles. The globe is lit at night, becoming a beacon. The exterior features a relief of the shield of the commonwealth of Massachusetts. An art deco eagle in relief surmounts the inset entrance to the memorial.

in the interior, the base features a domed chamber. The dome is decorated with art deco patterns made from small tiles. A gold lantern hangs from the centerpoint of the dome. Two narrow rows of a laurel leaf pattern surround the center.  Most of the dome is decorated with gold tesserae arranged in an overlapping pattern of half-discs. Under this is a narrow band of blue tesserae with red borders; against the blue-patterned mosaic are ranged 48 white stars. Below this are the interior inscriptions. The floor is made of different-colored marble that form a star-like pattern. In the center, inlaid in a circular black marble piece, is a bronze "US," with the letters surrounding a bronze relief of a lit torch.

 
Pictures gallery    Display the map      
Horace Farnham Square, Boston, MAzoom
Junction of Newbern and Elm Streets
Jamaica Plain
MA
USA
02130
10/12/1921

A corner marked with a sign that includes the deceased's name and a gold star.

Lieutenant J. Horace Farnham, of the Canadian Royal Flying Corps, was killed in an aeroplane accident in England, April 25, 1918. Mr. Farnham enlisted in the Canadian Royal Flying Corps in August, 1917, and for a time was stationed at Toronto; later he was sent to Kelly Field, San Antonio, Tex., where he finished his training in aviation. He was then sent to England for intensive training, and specialization on war machines, at the R. F. C. camp at Yatesbury, Wiltshire. Mr. Farnham was at the time of his death a senior in the evening division of the College of Business Administration. He was one of the most popular men in college. The members of his class presented to the college a fine portrait of Mr. Farnham; this portrait has been placed on the walls of the college library.

 
Pictures gallery    Display the map      
Henry W. Broughton Squarezoom
Junction of Everett, Elm, and Gordon Streets
Jamaica Plain
MA
USA
10/12/1921

A corner marked with a sign that includes the deceased's name and a gold star.

 
Pictures gallery    Display the map      
Lt. John Thomas Carr Squarezoom
Intersection of Prince, Centre, and Arborway Sts.
Jamaica Plain
MA
USA
10/12/1921

A corner marked with a sign that includes the deceased's name and a gold star.

 
Pictures gallery    Display the map      
Matthew O'Gorman Squarezoom
intersection of Pond and Prince Streets
Jamaica Plain
MA
USA
10/12/1921

A corner marked with a sign that includes the deceased's name and a gold star.