Granite memorial to WW1 soldiers from College Park. Inscriptions: “In Memoriam - The Fallen Heroes of College Park GA - The World War”. “Some Gave Much - Others Gave All”
“Erected by the College Park Womans Club with the Loyal Cooperation of College Park and its Citizens - 1921”
The memorial was designed by noted WW1 era sculptor, Burt W. Johnson (1890-1927). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burt_Johnson
On the reverse of the granite memorial is a listing of names - “Complete Roster of College Park Boys who Served in the World War - 1917 - 1919”. Four names have been added to the base below the bronze tinted listing.
The unveiling occured Feb. 19, 1922. Several hundred people attended. An invocation, prayer, dedication, and benediction were given. “Eight small boys and girls, relatives of the four dead heroes, removed the veil”, the Georgia Military Academy band played, and a former soldier laid a wreath “at the foot of the bronze tablet as a tribute to his fallen comrades.” Atlanta Constitution, Feb. 20, 1922, p. 5.
Source: Priscilla Schwarz, Ph. D., Lecturer in Art History, Oklahoma State University