The museum recounts the 20th century stories of the citizen-soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines - the men and women of the Commonwealth who served in defense of their state and nation. The story of modern warfare unfolds in the gallery exhibits which highlights the museum's excellent vehicle and weapons collections. The 65-acre park surrounding the museum includes the 28th Infantry Division National Shrine memorializing the service of the Pennsylvania National Guard.
The memorial is located in the Pitcairn Park, next to the memorials of World War II, Korea, and Vietnam. The inscription on the memorial reads: “Erected by the citizens of Pitcairn in honor of the men and women of this community who answered the call of their country in the World War.” Under the list of names is a quote by President Woodrow Wilson: “The right is more precious than peace, we shall fight for the things which we have always carried nearest our hearts to such a task we dedicate our lives.”
University of Pittsburgh, University Club Honor Roll, World War 1917-1918, is located outside of the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall & Museum on Bigelow Blvd, on the campus of the University of Pittsburgh. The museum is located at 4141 Fifth Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15213.
Stone memorial with bronze World War One plaques surmounted by a Doughboy statue and flanked by memorials for World War Two and the Korean War. Nearby is an inter-war 75 mm gun.
The Borough of Red Hill was not much different than most American towns that sent their young men off to fight in the war to end all wars. In the early part of the twentieth century the well noted industry of the town was cigar manufacturing. What made Red Hill unique was its German Heritage. A large percentage of the residence immigrated from the southern part of the German States and many of the boys coming from Red Hill spoke, at least a little, Pennsylvaniche Deutch (Pennsylvania German) or commonly called ‘Pennsylvania Dutch’, a decided advantage during their military service ‘Over There’. Also, considering the small population of the Borough at approximately 760, the recorded number of those that served totaled 37 men, about 5% of the population. This included Charles Boyer and Charles Schuler who paid the ultimate price, never to return home to continue their lives and enjoy the fruits of their service. Although the names of the 37 volunteers are known, little information has been uncovered as to their service records at this writing. It is known that Edwin E. Zepp, a cigar maker by trade, and Robert Snyder, both took their training at Camp Meade, Maryland and served in Co. F, 314th Infantry, 79th Div., a unit that saw heavy fighting on the Western Front, ‘going over the top’ for the first time in the Meuse-Argonne Offensive on 26 September, 1918 and participating in action at Bois de Chenes, Moirey Crepoin, Hills 328 and 319 and Cote de Romagne ending on Monday, 11 November, 1918. John N. Snyder of Co. I, also served with the 314th, 79th Div. as well as Charles L. Moyer, Headquarters Company, Regimental Band.
Slightly more information is known of Wilson Fillman originally of Third and Main Sts. Fillman enlisted on 2 November, 1917 at Camp Mead, Maryland and trained at Camp Logan, near Houston, Texas, arriving in France on 23 April, 1918 joining up with the 5th Division near Chaumont and serving in Company L, 11th Infantry Regiment. It is known he took part in the Saint-Mihiel and Meuse Argonne Offensives. He was wounded on 10 November, 1918, one day prior to the Armistice. Fillman returned to The States and was honorably discharged on 2 May, 1919 at Camp Dix, New Jersey.
Those who participated in the ‘War To End All Wars’ and are listed on the RED HILL monument are:
|Harvey Boyer||John Hillegass||Charles Romeike||Frank Snyder|
|Raymond Boyer||John Kline||John Schick||Robert Snyder|
|Charles Boyer *||John Maier||Elwood Schaefer||Amandus Specht|
|Irwin Brey||Charles Moyer||George Seasholtz||Edwin Undercoffler|
|Jacob Faust||Manoah Reiter||Roger Seasholtz||Grover Welker|
|Wilson Fillman||Jesse Reiter||Charles Shuler *||Millard Wilfong|
|Fred Gebhart||Frank Reiter||Norman Smith||Charles Yerger|
|Earl Gerlach||Thomas Reiter||John Snyder||Edwin E. Zepp|
|Clifford Gerlach||John Reiter||Clarence Snyder||Russell Ziegler|
* Made the Supreme Sacrifice
Paul Decker, Director
Red Hill Borough
46 West Fourth St.
Red Hill, PA 18976
Slightly more information is known of Wilson Fillman originally of Third and Main Sts. Fillman enlisted on 2 November, 1917 at Camp Mead, Maryland and trained at Camp Logan, near Houston, Texas, arriving in France on 23 April, 1918 joining up with the 5th Division near Chaumont and serving in Company L, 11th Infantry Regiment. It is known he took part in the Saint-Mihiel and Meuse Argonne Offensives. He was wounded on 10 November, 1918 one day prior to the Armistice. Fillman returned to The States and was honorably discharged on 2 May, 1919 at Camp Dix, New Jersey.
Bronze plaque dedicated to the members of the Salem congregation who served in the First World War.
The monument located adjacent to the man-made lake bearing his name, Shuey Lake. Sgt. Perry R. Shuey , a native of Lebanon, was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for extraordinary heroism in action during World War I near Fleville, France on Oct. 5, 1918. The monument was dedicated sometime in the late 1950s. It is located on Fort Indiantown Gap, an active military installation. Please visit the installation website for additional information www.ftig.ng.mil
Fort Indiantown Gap, PA, 17003
The memorial acquisition had its beginnings as early as March 1920 when a successful campaign was conducted to raise funds to acquire the plaque by public subscription. The original plan was to place it on a large boulder at the Franklin County Courthouse, but a state art commission rejected that plan. After considerable delay, the base shown in the above photograph was built and the Doughboy was dedicated at the current location on a rainy November 12, 1923 – Armistice (November 11) was on Sunday that year. The parade paused for a minute of silence at 11 a. m. to recognize the effective time of the armistice five years earlier. Numerous organizations, bands and speakers participated in the ceremony.
Bronze plaque dedicated to the members of the church who served in the First Wolrd War, including Lyman Rohr who was killed, and has an American Legion Bronze plaque located in the front yard of the rectory next door to the church