The Michigan Military Technical and Historical Society is dedicated to preserving the stories of Michigan citizens who served and sacrificed, here and abroad, from WWI to the present.
The 11,000-square-foot, Eastpointe-based museum showcases Michigan-related military products and units and features exhibits on veterans, equipment, weapons, uniforms, and other military artifacts.
The society also hosts special events, programs for children, and reenactments.
Location: 16600 Stephens Rd., Eastpointe, MI 48021
Hours: Sat 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Sun 12-5 p.m.
Cost: $5/individual, $7 family, $3 senior/military/student, children under 16 free
Details: Free on-site parking. Wheelchair accessible. Tour guide available; call ahead for groups of 10 or more.
More information: Call (586) 872-2581or visit www.mimths.org.
Erected to the memory of the officers and men of the Sixteenth Engineers, United States Army and Base Hospital Unit 36, United States Army
Who trained at the Michigan State Fair Grounds and served overseas in the World War, 1917 1918
Erected by the Board of Managers, Michigan State Fair Grounds, in colaboration with the Department of Michigan, Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States, September 5, 1928.
This Memorial is lost, it is not at this location.
Michigan War Veterans Memorial
"We trust that this memorial, when completed, will serve as a constant reminder to the youth of Michigan
and the nation that this nation shall never perish from the face of the earth!"
Dr. Linwood Snow, General Manager of the Michigan State Fair, August 2, 1939
at the laying of the cornerstone for the Michigan War Veterans Memorial.
On September 10, 1939, nine days after Germany's invasion of Poland and the start of what would become World War II, the Michigan War Veterans Memorial was dedicated during a ceremony attended by 5,000 people, who were mostly veterans of the Great War and their families.
The Memorial was designed to honor Michigan's military veterans of all wars and conflicts and was dedicated "to the memory of those living or dead, who served their flag and country so unstintingly". Its four sides contain about 250 stones identifying various veterans organizations from all across the state of Michigan. Represented were organizations consisting of veterans of the Civil War, the Spanish-American War, the Great War and the Allied intervention in North Russia of 1918-1919. A full list of the contributors of the stones can be found here.
Michigan's Secretary of State, Harry F. Kelly, was the main speaker during the dedication ceremony and the eternal flame on top of the memorial was lit by Augustus F. Chappell, who was commander of the Michigan Department of the GAR.
This unique Memorial is located at the northeast corner of Woodward and State Fair Avenues in Detroit, MI. For many years, the Memorial was the scene of the annual "Veteran's Day" activities of the Michigan State Fair. More information about the history of the Memorial can be found here.
Over the years, the Memorial has been sadly neglected and is now in need of significant structural and cosmetic restoration. The eternal flame's gas supply has been shut off for decades. The foundation is settling and some of the stones have fallen off. It has been estimated that it will take about $250,000 to restore the Memorial to all its former glory.
Michigan’s Military & Space Heroes Museum began in 1980 when Stan Bozich opened a small museum in the basement of the School Haus Square building on Main Street in Frankenmuth, Michigan. Determined to make his museum a fitting and lasting place to tell the story of Michigan’s military and space heroes, in 1985, Stan along with a supportive delegation from the city of Frankenmuth, was able to obtain a grant from the State of Michigan to purchase a two acre parcel of land on Weiss Street where the museum could build its future home.
With the financial support of local businesses and families plus veterans groups state-wide, a building was erected on the Weiss Street property and in 1987 the museum’s collection moved into its permanent home, which has since been expanded to enable more of the museum’s collection to be displayed for the thousands of visitors it welcomes each year. Frankenmuth is a popular destination for visitors who come from all over the state of Michigan to enjoy the famous chicken dinners, various festivals, shopping and other attractions in this German-themed town. The next time you plan a trip to Frankenmuth, make it a point to include a visit to the Museum.
Located at Soldiers and Sailors Park along the River Raisin near the Civil War monument. The nearest address across the street from the monument is 508 E. Front Monroe, Mi 48161
Dedicated in May 1929 by the Monroe American Legion
In Honor Of
Who Served In
The World War
Erected By The Sunshine Club
The Polar Bear Monument depicts a menacing polar bear, sculpted from white Georgian marble, advancing past a cross with a WWI helmet strapped to it. Designed by sculptor Leon Hermant, it is a monument to the "Polar Bears", a portion of Michigan's 339th Infantry Regiment, who were sent to Archangel in Northern Russia in 1918 to prevent a German advance and help reopen the Eastern Front. Instead, they fought Bolshevik revolutionaries for months after the Armistice ended the official fighting. They had killed 94 before they withdrew in April of 1919. In 1929, two commissions were sent to Archangel to recover the bodies, and they found the remains of 86 of the men. On Memorial Day in 1930, 56 of them were buried here.
In 1988, the Monument and surrounding graves were recognized as a registered Michigan Historic Site and a state historical marker was erected nearby. The marker reads as follows (note that the text provides the wrong number of burials that actually took place on May 30, 1930):
THE POLAR BEARS
In the summer of 1918, President Woodrow Wilson, at the urging of Britain and France, sent an infantry regiment to north Russia to fight the Bolsheviks in hopes of persuading Russia to rejoin the war against Germany. The 339th Infantry Regiment, with the first battalion of the 310th Engineers and the 337th Ambulance and Hospital Companies, arrived at Archangel, Russia, on September 4, 1918. About 75 percent of the fifty-five hundred Americans who made up the North Russian Expeditionary Forces were from Michigan; of those a majority were from Detroit. The newspapers called them "Detroit's Own,"; they called themselves "Polar Bears." They marched on Belle Isle on July 4, 1919. Ninety-four of them were killed in action after the United States decided to withdraw from Russia but before Archangel's harbor thawed.
In 1929, five former "Polar Bears" of the 339th Infantry Regiment returned to north Russia in an attempt to recover the bodies of fellow soldiers who had been killed in action or died of exposure or disease ten years earlier. The group was selected by the members of the Polar Bear Association under the auspices of the Veterans of Foreign Wars. The trip was sponsored by the federal government and the state of Michigan. The delegates recovered eighty-six bodies. Fifty-six of these were buried on this site on May 30, 1930. The Polar Bear monument was carved from white Georgian marble; the steps, from white North Carolina granite. The black granite base symbolizes a fortress, and the cross and helmet denote war burial.
This red bud grove is located in a small park near the Huron River. A boulder with a plaque marks the spot.
The plaque reads:
Dedicated in memory of Ann Arbor Veterans of WWI
Funded by the Elizabeth R. Dean Fund and other contributions"
David H. Underwood Killed in Action
Charles J. Underwood
Harold S. Bachmann
George E. Carlton Died in Service