To Honor the men and women of Sanilac County
Who answered their country's call in the World War 1914-1918
Below this are the names of those who served from Sanilac County.
Next to the statue is a captured German Maxin Machine Gun which should be restored and housed inside a building!
PH (586) 239-6768 or email [email protected]museum.org This is a military base so you have to call to get approval to enter at least 48 hours in advance!
This is a museum displaying military aircraft and associated historical items on the grounds of Selfridge Air National Guard base, an active military facility. All of the items on display are related to the history of this specific base. The museum consists of two parts: an indoor display of historic photos and items, e.g. military uniforms from various periods and an outdoor air museum of vintage aircaft.
This is the centennial of Selfridge Air Base August 2017
This World War Memorial is of a soldier and his rifle. Inscription on plaque:
To The Honor Of Our
Soldiers & Sailors
This is a life-size metal sculpted by John Paulding, depicting a WWI infantryman advancing through the slumps and barbed wire of No Man's Land, carrying a rifle in his left hand and a grenade in his upraised right hand.
It is sometimes referred to as "Over the Top" and others as "The American Doughboy". The original was cast at the American Art Bronze Foundry and like so many of these statues copies placed around the country.
This Viquesney Spirit of the Doughboy statue is located in the Roselawn Cemetery in the Veterans of Foreign Wars Section, in Berkley, Michigan.
Dedidcated to the Memory of our Comrades who served their country on foreign soil or hostile waters in time of war.
Wayne County Veterans of Foreign Wars of the USA May 1941
The Smithsonian Art Inventories Catelog at (visit link)
Tells us this in part:
Spirit of the American Doughboy, (sculpture).
Artist: Viquesney, E. M., 1876-1946, sculptor.
Title: Spirit of the American Doughboy, (sculpture).
Dates: Copyrighted 1934. Dedicated May 1941.
Medium: Sculpture: metal; Base: granite.
Dimensions: Sculpture: approx. 7 x 2 1/2 x 3 ft.; Base: approx. 7 x 5 x 5 ft.
Inscription: (On front of metal base:) SPIRIT OF THE AMERICAN DOUGHBOY (On back of metal base:) COPYRIGHTED 1934 BY/E.M. VIQUESNEY-SCULPTOR/SPENCER - INDIANA (On front of granite base:) DEDICATED/TO THE MEMORY OF/OUR COMRADES/WHO SERVED THEIR COUNTRY/ON FOREIGN SOIL OR/HOSTILE WATERS IN TIME OF WAR/WAYNE COUNTY COUNCIL/VETERANS OF FOREIGN WARS/OF THE U.S.A./MAY 1941 signed
Description: Standing figure of soldier, dressed in World War I uniform of jacket, leggings, helmet, ammunition belt at waist, and front and back packs. Proper right arm is raised overhead with grenade in hand. Proper left hand holds rifle at side. Proper right leg is bent, proper left leg is forward. Two tree stumps wrapped in barbed wire at his feet. Set on flaring stone base. Plaque on base has emblem of Veterans of Foreign Wars above inscription.
Owner: Roseland Park Cemetery Association, Roseland Park Cemetery, Woodward Avenue & Twelve Mile Road, Berkley, Michigan 48072
The Michigan Veterans Memorial recognizes the sacrifices of Michigan men and women who served in World War I, World War II, and the Korean and Vietnam conflicts.
The memorial was dedicated at 11:00 a.m. on Thursday, November 11, 1982, by Michigan's Veteran Organizations and Auxiliaries.
The War Dog - Military War Dogs have been fighting alongside our men and women in uniform in many of our conflicts. In WWI they were called Ambulance Dogs, they were trained to find wounded soldiers in No-Man’s land after a frontal attack. In WWII they were trained in many disciplines; scout, tracker, sentry and messenger. According to Military records War Dogs saved 15,000 lives during this conflict.
In Korea there were only one War Dog platoon deployed consisting of about 28 dogs. Of those 28 dogs on patrol, thousands of ambushes were averted. Thousands of lives were saved. In Vietnam further disciplines were added to their training; explosive detection and booby traps. According to the Military they saved 10,000 lives during this conflict. In Iraq their main function were detecting IED's. Their other duties were sentry and road side check points. They continue on duty today in Afghanistan. There are currently 600 teams deployed saving lives every day.
Today the War Dog is referred to as Military Working Dog (MWD)
The park was dedicated on November 11, 1926, after the Grand Rapids Council of the American Legion and public contribution funded memorial pillars in honor of WWI vets. In 1945, a citizens group petitioned for a WWII veterans memorial, and coupled with interest for honoring those who served in the Korean War, funds were secured for the addition of five granite pillars to the park. In 1975, two more pillars were added to honor Vietnam veterans.
Names of those who died in WWI appear on eight bronze bronze plaques placed on the sides of the granite pillars. Flowers commemorating their sacrifice are place at the base of both monuments. The plaque reads, "ERECTED BY THE CITIZENS OF GRAND RAPIDS WITH FUNDS VOLUNTARILY SUBSCRIBED THEREFORE AND DEDICATED NOVEMBER 11, 1926 TO THE MEMORY OF THE MEN AND WOMEN OF GRAND RAPIDS WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE IN THE SERVICE OF THEIR COUNTRY IN THE WORLD WAR. The smaller monument visible between the two pillars is a bust of Thomas Gilbert.
This is an octagonal granite column attached to which is a bronze relief plaque with an image of a soldier and an allegorical Columbia figure. She is dressed in a full-length gown and cape, and holds a sword and a laurel branch, which she offers to the soldier. On the other side of the column is a relief of a shield circled by the foliage. It was sculpted by C.W. Angell (1887-1963) and dedicated on May 30, 1932, to honor the veterans of all wars.
The plaque on the monument is scribed with the following: In Memory Of The Dead In Honor of The Living World War Soldiers Of Allegan County, Mich. Erected By The Club Women Of The County - 1925.