World War One was a watershed in American history. The United States' decision to join the battle in 1917 "to make the world safe for democracy" proved pivotal in securing allied victory — a victory that would usher in the American Century.
In the war's aftermath, individuals, towns, cities, counties, and states all felt compelled to mark the war, as did colleges, businesses, clubs, associations, veterans groups, and houses of worship. Thousands of memorials—from simple honor rolls, to Doughboy sculptures, to grandiose architectural ensembles—were erected throughout the US in the 1920s and 1930s, blanketing the American landscape.
Each of these memorials, regardless of size or expense, has a story. But sadly, as we enter the war's centennial period, these memorials and their very purpose—to honor in perpetuity the more than four million Americans who served in the war and the more than 116,000 who were killed—have largely been forgotten. And while many memorials are carefully tended, others have fallen into disrepair through neglect, vandalism, or theft. Some have been destroyed. Watch this CBS news video on the plight of these monuments.
The extant memorials are our most salient material links in the US to the war. They afford a vital window onto the conflict, its participants, and those determined to remember them. Rediscovering the memorials and the stories they tell will contribute to their physical and cultural rehabilitation—a fitting commemoration of the war and the sacrifices it entailed.
We are building a US WW1 Memorial register through a program called the Memorials Hunters Club. If you locate a memorial that is not on the map we invite you to upload your treasure to be permanently archived in the national register. You can include your choice of your real name, nickname or team name as the explorers who added that memorial to the register. We even have room for a selfie! Check the map, and if you don't see the your memorial CLICK THE LINK TO ADD IT.
Memorial trees with six existent commemorative plaques for graduates of Charlotte High School, currently located in Rochester, New York, who died in service in the war. Memorials created by CHS Class of 1921. They are located along former lane on east side of carousel.
Chattooga County Memorial and Doughboy Statue. Inscription: In Memorium - World War Veterans of Chattooga County, Georgia 1917 - 1918. Erected 1934 by Citizens and Friends of Chattooga County. Fostered by The Trion Company, B.D. Riegel, Pres. & Treas., N.B. Murphy, Vice Pres., A.D. Elliott.
Spirit of The American Doughboy (statue), Copyrighted by E.M. Viquesney, Sculptor, Spencer, Indiana.
Bronze plaques on three sides of the memorial column are inscribed with the names of soldiers from this county that fought in WW1. Photos of these names are attached in the photo gallery. Those that lost their lives are marked with stars next to their names.
Accompanying the memorial is an artillery piece. It has been identified as a German 7.6 Minenwerfer (Trench Mortar) on a carriage probably made post war so it could be displayed as a memorial. In the trenches, it would usually be on a square brace pad. These types of mortars were not used after the war and so were scrapped or taken as a war trophy by the allies.
"IN HONOR OF THE MEN AND WOMEN OF THE TOWN OF CHESTER: WHO SERVED THEIR COUNTRY IN THE WORLD WAR"
Park contains a Memorial Monument to Hoquiam residents lost in World Wars 1, 2, Korea and Vietnam.
Also there is a granite marker to those who built the park and a very old bronze plaque dedicating a tree
to Clara Barton by “The National Woman’s Relief Corps Auxiliary to the Grand Army of the Republic”, an
association of Union Army veterans of the American Civil War.
This war memorial stands on the grounds of the Cheyenne-Arapaho Tribal Headquarters. This is a beautiful war memorial, erected near the tribal administration offices. Four black granite pillars are engraved with the names of tribal members who have served in this Nation's wars. The photo gallery shows closeups of some of the names which are distinctly Native American. Above the four pillars a black granite cross beam reads: "Men and Women Who Served to Protect our Freedoms", and the words: Duty - Honor - Country - Tribe. A red granite gabled pediment is above engraved: "Cheyenne-Arapaho Veterans" and the words: Tsistsistas (Cheyenne) and Hinono'el (Arapaho). The center black pillar has a map of Oklahoma, with tribal symbols. It reads: "In honor of our veterans and the Gold Star Mothers we dedicate this memorial". Beneath that: "Our veterans gave a portion of their lives, and some lost their lives in order for us to enjoy the freedom we have now". The names of those Killed In Action are listed beneath. The memorial stands on an octagonal plaza with two benches and is lit at night. Designed and built by Willis Granite.
This memorial stone is located in the town of Eagle Butte, and honors the Sioux veterans, chiefs, and valiant men who died fighting in WWI.
The impetus to erect this memorial came from Congress, in April 29, 1930, when they passed the resolution to build a memorial in order to honor the twenty-five Sioux men who fought in WWI.
The Chickasaw County Veterans Memorial was dedicated on
November 11, 2013.
Opening into the Memorial is a large archway etched with the
emblems of all branches of the military, with two small tablets,
one one each side, thanking donors and veterans. There are
ten black granite walls inscribed with the names of local
veterans from all wars as well as peacetime. There are also
two obelisks, benches, granite markers and a bronze sculpture
of a young woman and child holding a ceremonially folded
No taxpayer funds were used to build this Memorial. only
donations from veterans, veterans families and other private
sources, as well as grants.
Photo courtesy of Forest County Potawatomi
This memorial is inscribed: In Honor of Those Choctaws Who Gave Their Lives in Defense of Our Nation. It is further dedicated to the Choctaw code talkers of WW1. Although Native Americans were not considered citizens during WW1, roughly 10,000 volunteered to serve. Once they reached the front, Native servicemembers were stereotyped as fierce warriors and frequently assigned to dangerous missions. As a result, they suffered casualty rates five times higher than U.S. troops overall.
A low relief bronze panel depicts a young man wearing a WWI military jacket, and that is set against an upright shaft of New Hampshire granite. At the top is a low relief image of an eagle, with wings spread fan-like upward, with a five-pointed star above its head. It was sculpted by Francoise T. Bourcier and dedicated on March 29, 1959, in memory of Christos Kalivas, the first Greek-American to die in WWI.
This tablet erected to perpetuate the memory of those who sacrificed their lives and honoring those who served in our armed forces.
Donor bricks are located on each side of the walkway leading to the Circleville Veterans Memorial in the small park at approximately 115 E Main Street in Circleville, Utah. The memorial is dedicated to all those who have served, with sections for each war since 1865. A statue of a soldier, which can be seen in the picture gallery, stands near the memorial.
This monument was erected to honor the soldiers & sailors of Irvington, NJ who fought in World War I. It depicts a bronze soldier dressed in a military uniform with an open-collared shirt, holding a bayonet in his lowered right hand. In his left hand, he grasps an upright flagpole topped with a small eagle. A partially unfurled American flag wraps around the flagpole.
In the back of the figure, an anvil is placed atop a tree stump and topped with an open book and an oil lamp. The statue stands on an inscribed marble base decorated in its upper portion with a relief of garland leaves.
Narrative adapted from Smithsonian Institution Research Information System (SIRIS) inventory #NJ000277.
Photo courtesy of: Smithsonian Institution Research Information System (SIRIS)
This plaque is inscribed with the names of "the boys of the city of Renton who served in the World War" as well as the Bible verse John 15:13: "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." A star next to a name signifies "Died In Service," meaning the servicemember was killed in action, died of wounds, died of disease, or died in an accident. The memorial is located in Veterans Memorial Park, south of the Renton History Museum.
IN HONOR AND MEMORY
OF THOSE WHO SERVED
WORLD WAR, 1914 - 1918
Followed by the names of the 70 soldiers, sailors and marines from Richmond Heights who served in
the World War six of them who Died In Service are noted at the top of the list with a star preceding their name.
DEDICATED MAY 30, 1923
CITIZENS OF THE CITY OF
In recognition of those who served in World War 2 and The Korean War with special emphasis to those “…WHO GAVE THEIR LAST FULL MEASURE OF DEVOTION FOR THEIR COUNTY”, an additional plaque was added and dedicated on May 30, 1954. It however does not list the names of those soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen.
Dedicated in 1931
Restored and Rededicated 4-6-2017
500 Block of Fourth Avenue Employee Entrance Niche
This bronze Honor Roll contains the names of all city employees who served in The World War.
Names of service members lost in The Great War are precede by a Star.
Veterans Memorial Building
In Memory Of All Who Gave Their Lives For
The Preservation Of American Freedom
Spanish American War - World War 1 - World War 2
Erected Under the Direction Of
Waldo Caufield Post No. 1324
Veterans Of Foreign Wars Of The United States
Veterans of Foreign Wars Post #1324 was chartered in 1925 in Oregon City,
Oregon and has been at the current location since 1949 when we built and
dedicated the Clackamas County Veterans Memorial Building, our Post home.
We are a VFW Post with active members who served in WWII, Korea, Viet Nam,
Iraq, and Afghanistan. We are involved in our community from West Linn and
Gladstone to Clackamas and Happy Valley, and of course Oregon City.
Dedicated In Memory of Those Who Died In
Defense Of Our Country - Lest We Forget
Dedicated: November 11, 1998
The original memorial located at the Clark County Courthouse was built in 1945. In the early
1990’s it was discovered that names were missing from that memorial. Because of the
smaller size, age and handicap in-accessibility of the original memorial it was thought a new
memorial might be in order. Upon a request from Clark County officials, the 40 et 8 formed
The Clark County Veterans Memorial Advisory Committee, co-chaired by Chuck Jones and
Coleah I. Penley-Ayers. Meeting monthly, committee members worked for five years uncovering
more missing names, designing, planning and fundraising. Primarily the memorial was funded
by individual donations from within the community.