The Hollywood American Legion building itself is a World War One monument.
The three story, 33,000 square foot facility located on Highland Avenue, one block south of the Hollywood Bowl. The buildings architecture is Egytian Revival-Morroccan Deco and was finished in 1929.
The post is a Los Angeles Registered Historical Landmark and has been a vibrant venue since it's completion. The Post has three floors and a projection booth at the roof level. It's lower floor is partially below ground. Connected to the lower floor by wide carpeted hallways leading up to 55' high Main Atrium supported by four Egyptian Columns.
Open-air Center Atrium leads to 800 capacity Main Auditorium containing 334 fixed theater type seats around a 2,000 square foot Oak hardwood dance floor. The raised stage is a proscenium design with a film screen. The Auditorium ceiling is 55' high and has 8 cement buttress columns that arch floor to ceiling.
All exterior doors are copper sheathed. The Post proudly displays significant Bronze Plaques with Legion members names who have gone to Post Everlasting. Prominent among them are Clark Gable, Adolphe Menjou and Gene Autrey.
Double eight-foot Walnut doors laced with iron and sheathed in copper act as an entrance. The Porch area out front features a six-foot bronze statue of Vietnam Vet in Bronze, a Japanese WWII cannon, Bronze Plaques of Commanders of Post and wrought iron double-gated fence opening on Highland Avenue. There is also a History/Military Museum with an extensive collection; a 4,000 volume Military and Hollywood library.
The collection of historical items of both Hollywood and the military exploits of Post members is a must see on any visit to its vaunted facilities.
Probably the most used, lived on, and spoken of WWI memorial in Los Angeles...that very few are aware is a memorial.
As the LA Times article from 1924 trumpets "Victory Boulevard finds its name in a practical memorial to the soldiery of our country." This was a major thoroughfare in those early Valley days. It was even referred to as a "highway" and the LAT called other Victory memorial roads elsewhere "insignificant in comparison."
Victory boulevard begins in Glendale, CA and runs across the San Fernando Valley ending 22.5 miles later at the headland of a large park in Woodland Hills.
Naming roads and bridges after the war was not unique to our city. Streets termed "Avenue of the Allies", and thoroughfares named Pershing, or Foch are not uncommon across the USA. Like our Victory Boulevard, few remember the reason behind their designations.
"The Greatest Stadium in the World"
Over twenty three thousand Angelenos had served in the armed forces, more than 450 of whom died in service, and within weeks after the Armistice, discussions on how best to honor the troops had become heated. Exposition Park was chosen as a prime location for what would be the city's main war memorial.
Los Angeles was already trying to get a large athletic complex built, so the idea was advanced to make a multi-purpose stadium that could be hold sporting, civic, and memorial events. The stadium was dedicated as a perpetual memorial to LA County Veterans of the World War.
Memorial Day and Armisitce Day programs would be held in the stadium for decades. Secretary of Commerce (and future President) Herbert Hoover spoke at one and many famous dignitaries would through the years.
In 1968, top Great War Air Ace Eddie Rickenbacker headlined a Veterans Day ceremony at Expo Park. Though no text exists of his remarks, this was apparently when the Coliseum was rededicated, not just to LA County's war veterans, but to "all those who served in World War I."
The Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum seeks to remember its heritage as not only a stadium of considerable athletic achievement, but as a venue that pays tribute to those who answered the nation's call nearly one hundred years ago
In 1928, as a memorial to local combat soldiers that died in World War I, the American Legion Post 49 and the Boy Scouts planted 71 coast live oak trees along the 101 freeway between Summerland and Carpinteria.
The trees were aligned in two columns on either side of the narrow cement road. The one lane ribbon of concrete through the country turned into the four lane speedway of today, and a number of the oak trees now grow in the center median between opposing lanes of traffic. About 35 of the original 71 trees still stand today.
There are four inscriptions, each on the side of the building face.
To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace - Washington
Do not destroy that immortal emblem of humanity - the Declaration of Independence - Lincoln
We want no wars of conquest; we must avoid the temptation of territorial aggression - McKinley
There are no days when we should be more patriotic than on other days. Wilson.
The Glendale-Hyperion Bridge, with the Victory Span was completed in 1928.
The aged inscription on the side for the span over the LA River at Riverside Drive is termed "Victory Bridge" and dedicated in 1930:
"to the memory of the heroes of the World War who paid to their country the last full measure of their devotion".