fbpx
African American Soldiers 1 Riveters pilots in dress uniforms Mule Rearing African American Officers gas masks The pilots doughboys with mules

Maps

 

Taylor Co. - Reynolds - Memorial Markerloupe
Marion St. @ North Winston St.
Reynolds
GA
USA
31076
1989
Photos courtesy of Lamar Veatch and Google Maps

Small memorial park with granite stones that contain the names of those from Taylor County that died in The War Between the States, World War I, World War II, and Vietnam. Six names are inscribed for WWI.

Inscription: “ Dedicated in grateful memory to all those who gave their lives in our wars.”

 
Bartow Co. - Cartersville - War Memorialloupe
Bartow County Courthouse Frank Moore Administration and Judicial Center 135 West Cherokee Avenue
Cartersville
GA
USA
30120
Photos courtesy of Lamar Veatch

Five-column memorial that lists the names of the county’s war dead for WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam and Afghanistan. Thirty names are on the WW1 column.

Inscription: “They died for no other reason than believing in their country. We must never forget this….Erected by the Citizens of Bartow County.”

 
Columbia Co. - Appling - Memorial Markerloupe
Columbia County Courthouse 1951 US HWY 221
Appling
GA
USA
30802
Photos courtesy of Lamar Veatch

Granite memorial marker with names of those that died from this country in WWI, WWII, and Korea. There are 4 names listed under WWI.

Inscription: “Woodman of the World Memorial. In sacred memory of the men of Columbia County who made the supreme sacrifice.”

 
Lumpkin Co. - Dahlonega - Veterans Wallloupe
Courthouse Circle
Dahlonega
GA
USA
30533
Photos courtesy of Lamar Veatch

Adjacent to Lumpkin County Tax Commission, this series of walls made of native stone with inlays of black granite is inscribed with names of those that served from this county.  A single alphabetical listing includes all wars.

 

Inscriptions: God and the Service Members.

            We adore

            In times of danger

            Not before, but;

            When danger has passed

            And everything is right

            God is forgotten

                        And

            The Service members denied.

“Lumpkin County honors those men and women for bravery, service, leadership, and sacrifices which maintained our American Way of Life.  Lumpkin County has not forgotten its sons and daughters.”

 
McDuffie Co. - Thompson - Memorialloupe
McDuffie Co. Superior Court Old County Courthouse McDuffie Avenue 337 Main St
Thompson
GA
USA
30824
Photos courtesy of Lamar Veatch

Granite marker on the corner of the McDuffie Courthouse Square. (Shrubbery may be obscuring this monument.) It is inscribed with those who died from this county for WWI, WWII, and Korea. There are 4 names for WWI.

Inscription: “In sacred memory of the men of McDuffie County who made the supreme sacrifice.
Woodmen of the World Memorial. “

 
Miller Co. - Colquitt - Veterans of Warloupe
Cotton Hall 157 GA 91
Colquitt
GA
USA
39837
Photos courtesy of Keith Smith and Google

Adjacent to Cotton Hall, this granite memorial wall contains the names of all those that served from this county, including a significant list of those for World War One. 

 
Montgomery Co. - Mt. Vernon - Veterans Memorialloupe
Montgomery Co. Courthouse South Railroad Avenue @ Broad Street
Mt. Vernon
GA
USA
30445
1993
Photos courtesy of Lamar Veatch

Granite, multi-stone monument on the grounds of the courthouse in Mt. Vernon. The WW1 shaft is inscribed with the names of 6 soldiers.

Inscription: “Montgomery County Veterans Memorial. Not in vain. This memorial is dedicated to all veterans who honorably served our country and was made possible by local service organizations and the citizens of Montgomery County, 1993.”

 
Toombs Co. - Lyons - Vidalia - War Memorialloupe
US HWY 280 (East 1st Street) @ Pete Phillips Drive
Vidalia
GA
USA
30436
Photos courtesy of Lamar Veatch

Toombs County War Memorial. Granite monument in small road-side park, listing WW1 and WWII war dead from this county. Fifteen (15) WW1 names are listed.
Sponsored by Vidalia and Lyons Camps - Woodmen of the World.

 
Oglethorpe Co. - Crawford - Veterans Monumentloupe
Oglethorpe County Chamber of Commerce 1158 Athens Rd
Crawford
GA
USA
30630
1991
Photos courtesy of Lamar Veatch

Black and grey granite monument on the grounds of the Chamber of Commerce.

Inscription: “In God We Trust - In Honor of the Veterans of Oglethorpe County”.

 
Oglethorpe Co. - Lexington - Veterans Monumentloupe
Oglethorpe County Courthouse 111 Main Street (GA HWY 22)
Lexington
GA
USA
30648
Photos courtesy of Lamar Veatch

Granite multi-layered monument, listing those from this county that served in all wars and conflicts, beginning with WW1. 

 
Pictures gallery    Display the map      
WWI MEMORIAL IN GREENWICH CTloupe
Greenwich Ave
Greenwich
CT
USA
06830

Dedicated in 1925, the Greenwich World War I monument is a 50-foot obelisk that sits in a small park in front of the town’s Post Office. The obelisk has a multi-sided base bearing the dedication “in honor of the men and women of Greenwich who served in the World War” as well as “in memory of those who died and an inspiration to all who follow.”  Another side of the base lists the following battles: Second Battle of the Marne, North Sea, St. Mihiel, Ypres Lis, Meuse Argonne and Verdun. 

 
St. Charles County World War Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Monumentloupe
100 North 3rd Street
Saint Charles
MO
USA
63301

Dedicated: November 11, 1920
Erected by: Gatzweiler Women’s Relief Corps, No. 128
Artist/Sculptor: Joseph May, 1838 - 1919
Fabricator: Joseph May Marble Works
Damage: Missing right hand

“Monument for our soldier and sailor boys who made the supreme sacrifice in the World War erected
near the south west corner of court house, St. Charles, Mo. Unveiled with great ceremonies on Thursday
November 11, 1920. A great patriotic demonstration was staged." ~ In MY Own Hand, by John J. Buse, 1933.

Located south of the west entrance to the county courthouse, this gray marble monument is topped by the
statue of a woman. All 4 upper sides of the monument lists the names of the 47 Sons of St. Charles County
who Made The Supreme Sacrifice in World War I, while the base block includes the following inscription:
IN MEMORY OF THE MEN FROM THE CITY AND COUNTY OF ST. CHARLES *
WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE IN THE WORLD WAR 1917-1919 *
WHAT MORE COULD A MAN DO *
ERECTED BY THE GATEWEILER WOMEN’S RELIEF CORPS №128 A.D. 1920

Proper Description: “A female figure stands barefoot dressed in a long flowing robe and holds a bunch of flowers to her side
with her proper left hand. The figure is placed on a multitiered base with inscriptions on all sides. On the front of the base
above the inscription there is an eagle atop crossed cannons." ~ Smithsonian American Art Museum

 
Pictures gallery    Display the map      
Memorial Towerloupe
518 Hitt St.
Columbia
MO
USA
65201

The Memorial Tower, now the Memorial Student Union, was conceived as a way to honor the students and alumni "who, during the Great War, just past, paid the full measure of devotion..."

The 142 foot tower is at the center of a 330 foot long building and was intended to provide a place of assembly, rest and recreation for students. The base of the tower is pierced by Gothic archways and a vaulted passage 32 feet wide. The tower was built of local stone. On the side walls of the passageway are the names of Missouri's sons whose memory the Memorial Union perpetuates. The building cost $500,000. The cornerstone was laid on November 30, 1922. Though the north wing of the building wasn't complete until 1952 and the South wing was completed in 1963.

Originally 117 names of soldiers from the Great War were carved into the tower. Later a plaque was added with the names of 338 MU men who lost their lives in WWII inscribed on it.

In a tradition that dates back to a time when most men wore hats, whenever one walks beneath the archway, they are to tip their hat as a sign of respect to their deceased brothers; in addition, every student speaks at a whisper under the archway. 

 
Pictures gallery    Display the map      
Marion County Veterans Memorialloupe
100 South Main Street
Palmyra
MO
USA
63461

This Memorial Monument was sponsored by the Boots - Dickson American Legion
Post 174 and dedicated on July 4th, 1987. The continuing Honoring Veterans Brick
program is sponsored by the Palmyra Area Community Betterment group and new
bricks are added each Veterans Day. In this World War 1 Centennial year 2018, 12
new 8”x 8” bricks were added to the 164 existing bricks on plaza area in front of the
Monument, facing the Courthouse.
Post 174 of the American Legion was founded at a meeting of former servicemen on
October 16, 1919 at the Marion County Courthouse. At the time of this meeting it was
decided, by ballot, that the name of the Post should be “The Boots - Dickson Post”
in honor and memory of Wade Boots and Charles Howard Dickson, deceased, both
Palmyra boys who died as heroes in the World War.
Pvt. Wade A. Boots, U.S. Army, September 12, 1896 to November 4, 1918 is buried at
Greenwood Cemetery in Palmyra. Pvt. Boots died of wounds received in battle.
Sgt. Charles Howard Dickson, U.S. Army 354th Infantry Regiment, 89th Infantry
Division. Sgt. Dickson was Killed In Action on November 1, 1918. He is buried with
his comrades in the Meuse-Argonne American Cemetery, Romagne, France - Plot
G, Row 20, Grave 35. Maintained by the American Battle Monument Commission.
Both soldiers were posthumously awarded the Purple Heart and the World War 1
Victory Medal.

 
Pictures gallery    Display the map      
Veterans Memorial Parkloupe
600 North 4th Street (SR20)
Cannon Falls
MN
USA
55009

Situated across State Highway 20 from Riverside Park, between River Road and
State St. W. Visitors may view the confluence of the Cannon River with the Little
Cannon. Built with the goal of acknowledging the sacrifice of area veterans and beautifying
the walking path.

Using local materials, the park’s design includes engraved tribute pavers as well
as brass plaques to memorialize and honor veterans from all branches of the military.
Granite reflection benches are available and emblems of the Army, Navy, Marines,
Air Force, and Coast Guard are displayed. In the center, a bronze eagle is flanked by
the American flag, the Minnesota State flag, and a POW flag.

The site is accessible by foot, bike, or car and is highly visible from the main road to
downtown Cannon Falls.

 
Over the Top to Victoryloupe
Memorial Park, 208 W Union Ave
Wheaton
IL
USA
60187

This doughboy statue was originally dedicated on Armistice Day, November 11, 1929 and is located in Memorial Park, Wheaton, Illinois.

 
Pictures gallery    Display the map      
Spirit of the American Navyloupe
Burlington Square
Naperville
IL
USA
60540

E, M. Viquesney's "Spirit of the American Navy", the companion piece to his famous "Spirit of the American Doughboy", was discovered in a Pentwater, Michigan marine supply store. For 35 years it had been there, hiding in plain sight, until it was purchased and dedicated on October 13, 2013 in Burlington Square Park in downtown Naperville.

 
Pictures gallery    Display the map      
Bolling Memorialloupe
290 Greenwich Ave
Greenwich
CT
USA
06830

This is a bronze standing figure of Col. Raynal C. Bolling, an aviator in the American Expeditionary Force of World War I. The figure wears a WWI uniform and holds a cane in his right hand. Behind is a stele relief of two airplanes flying among clouds.  Greenwich resident Bolling is credited with laying the foundation for the U.S. aerial warfare program in France, and died near Amiens on March 26, 1918.  He was the first high ranking American officer to die in France.  Bolling Air Force base near Washington, D.C. is named for the aviator.  The sculptor of the Bolling monument, Edward Clark Potter, also created the lions outside the New York Public Library, the statue of General Henry Warner Slocum in Gettysburg and other monuments. 

 
State History Museum: WW1 Gold Star St. Louisansloupe
5700 Lindell Blvd.
St. Louis
MO
USA
63112

"GOLD STAR MISSOURIANS”
Each of the 1,075 Gold Stars above this exhibit represents a St. Loiusan who gave his or her
life during “The World War”. Their names are listed on the staircase wall in this area and mirror
mirror those inscribed on the cenotaph at the Soldiers Memorial Museum in downtown St. Louis.
This exhibit also contains World War memorabilia and memorial items that belonged to soldiers
a\nd meant to honor their service.

 
Pictures gallery    Display the map      
PIKE COUNTY WAR MEMORIALloupe
115 West Main Street
Bowling Green
MO
USA
63334

Dedicated: November 11, 1991

The taller center marble wall features an inset bronze sculpture of five U.S. servicemen representing,
WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam and Desert Storm/War On Terror. It also has the formal dedication text
and dedication date. Two marble walls on the far left side, list the names of those who served and Made
The Supreme Sacrifice in Korea and World War II an additional wall left of the center column continues
the list of WW2 service members. The wall to the immediate right is for World War I. The two on the far
right carry the names of those who served and Made The Supreme Sacrifice in Vietnam, Persian Gulf
and the War On Terror. Each resident from Pike County who served, is listed here. If the name has a
cross in front of it, that soldier, sailor, airman or marine was KIA (Killed In Action). An asterisk indicates
they are MIA (Missing In Action). A hashtag stands for POW (Prisoner Of War). An asterisk indicates they
were WIA (Wounded In Action). A check mark refers to the difference between Vietnam Veterans who
served “In Country” and those who were Vietnam “Era” Veterans.

 

"Pershing" Donors

$5 Million +


Founding Sponsor
PritzkerMML Logo


Starr Foundation Logo


The Lilly Endowment