Named in memory of PVT William C.N. Boylen CD.L 101st Infantry 26th DIV A.E.F. killed at vaux. Chateau thierry second battle of the marine July 20, 1918
First Melrose man with the American Forces killed in action in the World War
INSCRIPTION: (front granite) State of Maine, To Her Sailors and Soldiers; (front bottom of bronze plaque) Lord God of Hosts Be With Us Yet, Lest We Forget, Lest We Forget
The engraving on the front of the tall granite base reads:
ERECTED IN HONOR OF
THOSE WHO WENT FROM
TO SERVE OUR COUNTRY IN THE
LEST WE FORGET
An engraving on the Doughboy’s left side reads:
(followed by a list of 25 county soldiers lost when the troop ship Otranto sank off the coast of Scotland following an October 1918 collision with the Kashmir during a storm.)
An engraving on the Doughboy’s right side reads:
DIED FROM OTHER CAUSES
(followed by a list of 25 names)
The idea for a monument to honor North Carolina State alumni killed during World War I originated with Vance Sykes, a member of the class of 1907. Today, the 115-foot monument, called "a legend in stone," is a symbol of the university and a rallying point for the campus community. Constructed at a cost of more than $150,000, the tower is made of 1,400 tons of granite set on a 700-ton concrete base. Its blending of Romanesque features and Gothic verticality are reminiscent of the towers at West Point. Although 34 alumni died in the war, the memorial plaque contains 35 names. George L. Jeffers, class of 1913, was wrongly reported killed in action and his name was included by mistake. When the error was discovered, the university decided to alter the extra name beyond recognition. It was therefore changed to George E. Jefferson, a symbol of unknown soldiers from NC State and elsewhere.
Following the end of the Great World War, the citizens of the Ninth Ward of New Orleans erected a "Victory Arch." The carved stone arch, reminiscent of the ancient triumphal arches of the the Roman Empire (such as the Arch of Titus), was originally located in the center of Macarty Square, bounded by Alvar, N.Rampart, Pauline, and Burgundy Streets. In 1951 it was moved to the edge of the square near Burgundy Street, where it remains today.
Inscription: Erected A.D. 1919 by the people of this the Ninth Ward in honor of its citizens who were enlisted in combative service and in memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice for the triumph of right over might in the Great World War.
Constructed between 1920 and 1923, the bridge was the first without toll to span the Piscataqua between Portsmouth and Kittery. The bridge was constructed as a joint venture between the states of Maine and New Hampshire and the federal government. It was dedicated as a World War I memorial.
Its plaque, above the entrance to the first truss span on the Portsmouth side, reads: Memorial to the Sailors and Soldiers of New Hampshire who participated in the World War 1917-1919. Originally, the road over the bridge was part of New England Interstate Route, also known as the Altantic Highway. When the New England routes were superseded by the United States Numbered Highways in 1926 it was redesignated as US 1.
The bridge was reconstructed in 2010 as the original structure had become unsafe. It was rededicated in 2013 by former Portsmouth Mayor Eileen Foley, who cut the red ribbon 90 years after she performed the same honors for the original span in 1923.
This bronze sculpture on a grey granite base is located in the southwest part of the Olathe Memorial Cemetery. He wears a military uniform with helmet and boots. His proper right hand is on his waist. In his proper left hand he holds the barrel of his gun, the butt of the gun rests on the base. He has a knapsack slung across his shoulder which rests on his proper left hip. The statue was dedicated on Memorial Day 1926 and was donated by American Legion Post 153 and by the parents of Earl Collier, the first Johnson County soldier killed in World War I. The American Legion Post in Olathe is named after Earl Collier.
Inscription: In Memory of World War Veterans.
On the front of the monument the following is inscribed:
Our Honored Dead
Edmund Garretson Cook
Edwin Eldon Graham Elder
Norman H. Leonard
Howard P. Melody
Edward Francis McShane
Raymond William Watson
John W. Wiegel, Jr.
Edwin S. Williams
Albert Clinton Wunderlich On the rear of the monument the inscription reads:
To The Honor
Of The Men from Lansdowne
Who Entered The Great World War
This Monument is Dedicated
By Their Fellow Townsmen
In Token of Sorrow of Their Lives
Of Pride in Their Valor
And in the Full Assurance
That the Memory of their Heroism
In Life and Death
The Future Youth of Lansdowne
With the Same
Courage and Devotion
The sculpture was unveiled by two GoldStar mothers, Mrs. Charles V. Leach and Mrs. Cordelia Cater, after whose sons the Olympia posts of the American Legion and the Veterans of Foreign Wars were named. The dedication address was presented by Stephen F. Chadwick, national chairman of the American Legion’s Americanism Committee.
The bronze sculpture features a 12-foot tall figure of Winged Victory surrounded by the figures of a soldier, a sailor, a marine, and a Red Cross nurse.
Although, there is plenty of space on this monument, and the inscription reads:
TO THE MEMORY OF
OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON
WHO LOST THEIR LIVES
IN THE SERVICE OF
THE UNITED STATES
DURING THE WORLD WAR
1917 - 1918
Sadly there are no names engraved here.
The left-panel figure, " The American Boy", holds in his left hand the sword of the Crusaders, surmounted bu a wreath of oak for courage, and in his right the fasces and axe, sign of authority; the right-panel figure, " The American Girl" bears in her right hand the torch of liberty, with thirteen stars fir the original states, and in her left the laurel, symbol of accomplishment. Beneath the fighres are the sesals of the United States, the Army, the Navy and the Hhigh School. Auxiliary panel bearing the names of the complete honor-roll are in preparation.
The War Memorial, located at 101 North Gay Street, Baltimore, MD, honors and serves all veterans of Maryland. The building serves as a place of remembrance for fallen soldiers and as an administrative office for veteran’s outreach organizations. The War Memorial Commission was created under both State and City law to operate the War Memorial building. The Commission has custody and supervision of the War Memorial Building and the War Memorial Plaza.
Directly in front of the historic Todd County Courthouse is a monument dedicated to the memory of the soldiers and sailors who died in the service of their country. In 1918 William E. Lee approached the county commissioners and offered to build the monument at his own personal expense. The specifications were drawn up by Clarence H. Johnston, architect; and the sculpture was done by John K. Daniels, St. Paul.
Tranquil grove of coastal redwoods, surrounding a granite rock inscribed with the names of local casualties of World War I. Three-sided boulder known as the Gold Star Mothers Rock is inscribed with the names of 748 local men and 13 women who died in the war. Originally planned for a spot near the War Memorial Opera House, the stone was added to the grove in 1932.
Also Includes a small meadow with the Doughboy memorial and flagpoles at its western edge. The date of its creation is unknown, but it is visible on the 1935 aerial photograph.
The monument was erected to honor the men who trained for World War One at Camp Greene. The most striking feature is a tall fluted column with an elaborate carving at the top holding the earth. The column stands on a large granite plinth on a triple base with inscriptions naming all the units stationed at the camp. The south face also has the spinning wheel insignia of the Daughters of the American Revolution above the inscription. It is surrounded by a black wrought iron fence.