Across the nation in the years after World War One, state and local parks were named in honor of Americans who made significant contributions to the war effort. Many of these parks have statuary and other memorials related to World War One. To add a park to this page, send an email to the webmaster with the relevant information. (See disclaimer.)
This five-acre memorial grove was started in 1920 with the planting of trees and a field of Flanders Poppies. Within the grove stands a five-foot high monument with a bronze plaque honoring 21 men and women who gave their lives in the first World War.
Photo courtesy of Phil Luciano / Journal Star
This memorial consists of a 25-foot-tall Greco-Roman column with a bronze eagle on top. The column's base contains four bronze plaques listing the names of WW1 servicemembers. For more information about the history and upkeep of the memorial, visit the "101 Things That Play in Peoria" website linked above.
These memorials, along with a vintage U.S. Army tank, are located in Milaca's Trimble Park.
This memorial honors those who have served in every U.S. conflict from World War 1 to the present day, with plaques listing the names of those who gave their lives. In front of the memorial stands a "Battlefield Cross" sculpture comprised of a servicemember's rifle, helmet, and boots.
This park contains many different memorials commemorating service in World War 1, including one for submariners and one for Medal of Honor recipients from all wars. The park is also home to many more monuments and memorials unrelated to World War 1, including Oregon's first Vietnam War Memorial.
This memorial is dedicated to Mathew B. Juan, a Pima Indian who enlisted under the name Mathew B. Rivers and was the first American Indian, and the first Arizonan, to be killed in World War I on May 28th, 1918, at the Battle of Cantigny, France, the first American offensive operation of the war.
The All Nations Native American Veterans Memorial Park is dedicated to all Native American veterans, regardless of which tribe they descend from. There are multiple stone memorials in the park. There is at least one memorial stone per war, and upon the stones are inscribed the names of the veterans who fought in the particular war which the stone memorializes.
This memorial site is located within the Cherokee Veterans Park. The memorial site, itself, consists of a seven sided granite stele topped with a bronze bust of Medal of Honor recipient Charles George. He is shown wearing an army helmet with the Medal of Honor around the neck. Each side of the stele has a pictograph representing one of the seven clans of the Cherokee Nation: Deer, Blue, Long Hair, Wolf, Bird, Paint and Wild Potato. Incised on the front is the Great Seal of the United States. Below this are the Seal of the Cherokee Nation, then the Fox clan, and then the list of Cherokee veterans killed in action. The other sides of the stele show the Coat of Arms for the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, Air Force and Merchant Marine.
Encircling the stele are seven table-stones. They list by clan the names of every known Eastern Band of Cherokee Indian that has served in the armed forces since the war of 1812.
At the entrance to the memorial site is a lectern top granite block with a bronze inscription plaque. On the front of this block, in color, is a mountain landscape. Superimposed over the landscape is a seven sided Cherokee star. Pictured inside the star is an Indian with long flowing hair, trees and mountains in moonlight. And the inscription on this stone reads:
“Cherokee Veterans Park”
“This park is dedicated to all members of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians who served Honorably in the armed forces of this great Nation, and especially to those who died in the effort and to Charles George, the only member of the Eastern Band of the Cherokee to be awarded the congressional Medal of Honor.”
This memorial site is located on a forested site in-between the Elders Center and Tribal Museum. The Veterans Memorial is a small ceremonial gathering space representing Squaxin Island, the symbolic heart of the Squaxin Island Tribe who are also known as the People of the Water.
Seven water pools, representing the Tribe’s traditional lands comprised of seven watersheds in south Puget Sound, radiate out from the center space. Each water pool is a setting for a cluster of bronze paddles, each bearing the name of a veteran. A carved wood house post portal created by tribal artist Andrea Wilbur-Sigo marks the entrance to the gathering space. Informal paths meander through the pools and native landscape, with benches for resting and quiet contemplation. The Veterans Committee also brought a large petroglyph boulder originally from Harstene Island, and it is now sited on the memorial grounds. Other elements include a flag plaza and interpretive displays with oral history storytelling and plant names in the Lushootseed language.
This memorial park is dedicated to all Apsaalooke Crow Agency veterans. The park contains a memorial wall, a large statue of a native warrior riding a horse, the flags of the US, Apsaalooke Crow Agency, the branches of the military, and POW-MIA.